Hay wagons; let's see them!

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #61  
We have three John Deere and one New Holland hay wagons with wood bunks.

Last edited:
   / Hay wagons; let's see them! #62  
I made this wagon about two years ago. It is made of rough sawn oak and lots of VW and Audi parts. I the frame is 2x4x.125 tubing. I don't need it, but I wanted one. I use it to pull kids around at parties. {thats my son in the back ground} DSC02142.jpg

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #63  
prolly a dumb question but here it goes are things street legal? down here you never see them. and if they are how fast can they be towed?

/ Hay wagons; let's see them!
We have three John Deere and one New Holland hay wagons with wood bunks.

Nice looking tractor! ;)

I made this wagon about two years ago. It is made of rough sawn oak and lots of VW and Audi parts. I the frame is 2x4x.125 tubing. I don't need it, but I wanted one. I use it to pull kids around at parties. {thats my son in the back ground}View attachment 176695

Cool looking wagon. Looks perfect for hay rides!

prolly a dumb question but here it goes are things street legal? down here you never see them. and if they are how fast can they be towed?

No such thing as a dumb question! I can't speak for all states but in Mass we can pull these down the road. They keep talking about making us use taillights and directionals, etc. but as of yet they haven't done it. You can pull them as fast as your tractor will go which isn't all that fast. Some guys will tow them with pick-up trucks which obviously can go much faster but I never have. I wouldn't want to go over 30mph with mine....especially loaded.

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #65  

No it's a good question. In NH they are street legal. When pulled behind a tractor, they are just consider an implement of husbandry(farming equipment) State only requires they display the triangular slow moving vehicle emblem. I don't know how fast they can go. I have only pulled them down the road behind my tractor, not much more than 20mph.

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #66  
I'm new to the forum, but have searched high and low for an answer to my question. I've just picked up some rebuilt running gear and want to attach a box to it for hay rides and general farm hauling. None of the pictures/plans on the forum discuss how to attach a bed and still allow for the running gear to twist on the reach pole, as it is designed to do. Bolting longitudinal beams to the front and rear supports will stiffen the gear and prohibit the axles from articulating over rough terrain. Does anyone have an answer?

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #67  
I'm new to the forum, but have searched high and low for an answer to my question. I've just picked up some rebuilt running gear and want to attach a box to it for hay rides and general farm hauling. None of the pictures/plans on the forum discuss how to attach a bed and still allow for the running gear to twist on the reach pole, as it is designed to do. Bolting longitudinal beams to the front and rear supports will stiffen the gear and prohibit the axles from articulating over rough terrain. Does anyone have an answer?

Use a loose loop of chain on each corner. That and a typical flat haywagon bed will flex to a certain degree.

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #68  
Bolt the LF and RR, chain down the other two is how I have seen it done.
On ours, we built it with the idea of using it for hayrides, so we bolted all 4 corners and the frame itself has to flex.

Aaron Z

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #69  
i have found that most comercaly manufactured running gears will tow well up to 20 miles per hour but much over 25 will tend to whip when transporting with a pickup. Kev

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #70  
i have found that most comercaly manufactured running gears will tow well up to 20 miles per hour but much over 25 will tend to whip when transporting with a pickup. Kev

We sell the new Kory gears and they will track the speed limit. Most of the older JD wagons will do pretty well at highway speeds. Ken Sweet