Hay wagons; let's see them!

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #72  
But not for long.

I have 2 8 ton Kory's (6872) here on the farm with 20 ft flats on them and they have been in the tobacco and hay fields for about 20 years and they will track faster than I want to pull them.

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #73  
I have 2 8 ton Kory's (6872) here on the farm with 20 ft flats on them and they have been in the tobacco and hay fields for about 20 years and they will track faster than I want to pull them.

Sorry Ken but I got to call BS here. There isn't a brand of 20 year old gear that will tow at the speed limit that has been used for anything more than parade floats. With some good mainteneance they can all tow well but not the speed limit, unless the limit is 20.

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #74  
Sorry Ken but I got to call BS here. There isn't a brand of 20 year old gear that will tow at the speed limit that has been used for anything more than parade floats. With some good mainteneance they can all tow well but not the speed limit, unless the limit is 20.

Kory is different than most gears. They have replaceable automotive style ball joints on the steering tie rods and the only other thing you have to maintain is the cross bolt in the tongue. Ken Sweet

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #75  
Kory is different than most gears. They have replaceable automotive style ball joints on the steering tie rods and the only other thing you have to maintain is the cross bolt in the tongue. Ken Sweet

We have a couple of Korys and can't see where they are any better then any other brand. And we have a pretty good sample of the market. LOL

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #76  
We have a couple of Korys and can't see where they are any better then any other brand. And we have a pretty good sample of the market. LOL

Kory gears that are running with wore out tie rod end joints and play in the tongue will give tracking trouble, However, unlike most others, scheduled maintaince can keep them tracking correctly forever. It is just like putting new tie rod end on your truck or car when they get wore out. Ken Sweet

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #77  
I grew up with three John Deere #953 spring wagons, the oldest was worn enough you could only tow it up to around 20 mph. The other two could be towed 55 (empty) with no problem. Didn't tow that fast loaded, because you may have to stop them! ~~ grnspot110

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #78  
I grew up with three John Deere #953 spring wagons, the oldest was worn enough you could only tow it up to around 20 mph. The other two could be towed 55 (empty) with no problem. Didn't tow that fast loaded, because you may have to stop them! ~~ grnspot110

Those 953's were best of breed back in the day. I had rather have a 40 yr old JD 953 than 2 new box store gears. Ken Sweet

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #79  
Still have the tractor, but even though "Old Rock-A-Bye" got upgraded with 32 Ford axles, it sadly got scrapped in the mid 70's.

ACWCLooseHay.jpg

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #80  
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/118921-home-made-bale-trailer.html

This is what i built last year: Its a hybrid, built from a 3 ton Miedema walking tandem manure spreader, and a Doornwaard 2 ton turntable steered highway trailer.

Update: the Miedema tandem didnt show durable enough, 2 weeks ago i hauled 15 ton of haylage home with my wagon, and a borrowed wagon behind it. After driving 20km the left front wheel came off when i just turned onto our driveway:
This muck spreader i used the walking beam tandem of, made their own hubs with bad castings. The wheel hub splattered in four pieces, although the bearing it should retain, wasnt deformed nor hot, and was properly greased.

The 5 stud, stub axles are pressed into a bush in the walking beam, so what i'll do is cut down some beefier 3 ton, 6 stud axles and lathe them down so they will slip into the bushes, so i get a 6 ton braked tandem. I will use hydraulic brakes actuated by the tractors external control valve.

Last time i used it, i had to brake on the tractor alone, and those dry drum brakes squeeled like an Arab warrior.... ;) The tractor wheels didnt skid due to the 2 ton drawbar load, but when i have another wagon hooked behind it, i get over 15 ton CGVW so i do need trailer brakes... When tractor and my own trailer have brakes, the borrowed trailer behind it, will never be able to overtake me when i get into an emergency situation..

oh by the way: Indeed i reckoned the tandem as a 4 ton because of the light duty 5 stud hubs, but i use it as 6 ton... So actually it isnt the tandems fault but mine, which will be corrected now.

Last edited: