Hay wagons; let's see them!

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #81  
Last time i used it, i had to brake on the tractor alone, and those dry drum brakes squeeled like an Arab warrior.... ;) The tractor wheels didnt skid due to the 2 ton drawbar load, but when i have another wagon hooked behind it, i get over 15 ton CGVW so i do need trailer brakes... When tractor and my own trailer have brakes, the borrowed trailer behind it, will never be able to overtake me when i get into an emergency situation..

"those dry drum brakes squeeled like an Arab warrior.... ;)"

Now THAT'S funny!!!!!

/ Hay wagons; let's see them!
Bolting longitudinal beams to the front and rear supports will stiffen the gear and prohibit the axles from articulating over rough terrain. Does anyone have an answer?

You can try the chains like others have mentioned, but believe me the hay wagons flex....a LOT!

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #83  
No it's a good question. In NH they are street legal. When pulled behind a tractor, they are just consider an implement of husbandry(farming equipment) State only requires they display the triangular slow moving vehicle emblem. I don't know how fast they can go. I have only pulled them down the road behind my tractor, not much more than 20mph.
Yes in NH they are considered farm equipment, but only if you use a pin hitch. If the wagon has a ball hitch than its a trailer and needs to display lights. As for road speed. I tow my racks behind my pickup to go between fields, some running gear are straight down the road at 40 and some shimmy at 20. That's unloaded, loaded speed is usually 15-30.

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #84  
Decided to get the wagon out today and snap a few shots.

Attachments

• Wagon1.JPG
    Wagon1.JPG
    350.7 KB · Views: 754
  • Wagon (2).JPG
    Wagon (2).JPG
    425.3 KB · Views: 575
  • Wagon3.JPG
    Wagon3.JPG
    444.6 KB · Views: 508
  • Wagon4.JPG
    Wagon4.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 633
  • Wagon5.JPG
    Wagon5.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 482
   / Hay wagons; let's see them! #86  
   / Hay wagons; let's see them! #87  
chain the front axle so it will not rotate, then slide the front tires where you need to go, unless your tractors "green" and dont have enough power!:laughing:

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #88  
hello I wanted to ask were did u get that brake mechanism for your hay wagon. I am very interested installing one on my wagon.
thank you

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #89  
Update: the Miedema tandem didnt show durable enough, 2 weeks ago i hauled 15 ton of haylage home with my wagon, and a borrowed wagon behind it. After driving 20km the left front wheel came off when i just turned onto our driveway:
This muck spreader i used the walking beam tandem of, made their own hubs with bad castings. The wheel hub splattered in four pieces, although the bearing it should retain, wasnt deformed nor hot, and was properly greased.

Nother update: last summer i welded an 8 ton tandem under it from a scrapped Deutz-Fahr sefloading hay wagon, and cut wheel wells in the siderail to accomodate the bigger 13-16 tires.. It pulls much lighter now, both on- and offroad :)

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #90  
Here's my old wagon. It would hold 200 bales of hay and the Bota pulled it easily. . . John

Attachments

• Patti and Bota 2 .jpg
    Patti and Bota 2 .jpg
    812.6 KB · Views: 727