baling tumbleweeds

/ baling tumbleweeds #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I did a quick search and came up empty on how to bale tumbleweeds. Is it possible to take a standard old square baler and feed tumbleweeds into it. Has anyone done this and what happened? I'm in E. Wa state and we've just had a big wind storm and all the municipal fence lines are just packed with them. bjr

/ baling tumbleweeds #2  
If you can bale them would it not be very difficult to bale them on a fence?

/ baling tumbleweeds
Mostly for transportation of them. We can only burn on very rare occasions and it's very hard to compact them by just jumping on them. If baling was an option then you could transport them by truck for disposal convienantly. bjr

/ baling tumbleweeds #5  
They are good livestock feed. My sheep and Donkey love em

/ baling tumbleweeds #6  
Tumbleweeds -This time of year many farmers have idle balers. Just bale 'em up and use them for temporary walls and such. I'm sure there are natural builders in the area that would love to take them off your hand. A hundred pound bale is equivelent to a whole lot of tumbleweeds and they don't have to be burned and such. Cal Earth in California was where the dome was. Their website for info is at Cal-Earth - The California Institute of Earth Art and Architecture If I was in my building mode in New Mexico, near Ramah, I'd take 'em off your hands for outside walls, just stack them and cover with plaster. Downside: Watch out for hijackers, like ants and such. A couple of apprententests at Cal Earth told me that the day after they hauled the bales in, the ground seemed to be moving. They thought they had been smoking happy weed. The ground was actually covered with ants headed for their home land. laughing Good luck,