baling hay

/ baling hay #1  

robert23239

Not sure if I have the right forum but I have been asked to bale some hay.
It has been about 20 years since I have baled hay.

Not sure what to charge per bale.

I would be cutting, raking and doing the baling.

Any ideas on what to charge per bale ???

Thanks ahead of time ???

robert

/ baling hay #2  
Might get alot more info by posting on the Ag section here on TBN.

You might just work out a split on the number of bales. Maybe a 70-30 or a 60-40 split between you and the land owner.

AKfish

/ baling hay #3  
It is hard to say what to charge per bale as it depends a lot on your own inputs and area. The only custom baling I do for people are friends and I charge 75 cents a bale just to bale straw for a friend and $1 a bale for a land owner whos property I hay and maintain. $1 per bale is less then my cost and the only reason I charge them that much is because I truely do maintain their property (70 acres) which is reseeding fields, mowing ditches, cleaning up tree lines and helping with what ever else they need there. They only sell the hay now and do not use it themselves. When they did use some of it I charged them 75 cents a bale. But I know from talking to others on here this isn't a common situation.

/ baling hay #4  
It depends on the region too. I know around here, local hay farmers are now charging $6 a bale, depending. Normally I buy from one of my neighbor's, but this year I may go in with some people and import from the eastern part of the state.

/ baling hay #5  
Check the University of Iowa website . They publish a very cpmplete list of "custom" rates that I use to charge people I do work for. Last year round bailing was $6 per bale.
Tim

/ baling hay #6  
I should note my prices were for small square bales.

/ baling hay #7  
I should note my prices were for small square bales.

Darn it....!!! I was lining up a semi to haul those big round bales after you baled 'em up, Robert... :D :D I think I coulda covered my freight costs! :eek:

AKfish

/ baling hay #8  
We get $.90/ft for large squares

Don't know what to tell you for cutting and raking:eek:

/ baling hay #9  
Darn it....!!! I was lining up a semi to haul those big round bales after you baled 'em up, Robert... :D :D I think I coulda covered my freight costs! :eek:

AKfish

Sadly, a lot of people here would say those prices were too high for large round bales:rolleyes: