Hobby haying pics with a compact tractor and bushog

/ Hobby haying pics with a compact tractor and bushog #1  

rankrank1

Platinum Member
Tractor
1978 Kubota L285, 1951 Farmall h, 1946 Farmall m, 1950 John Deere A, 1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee, 195? Ford 850, 1948 Case DC, 1948 Case SC
Well here are some pics of hobby haying with:
a) An older compact tractor. A Kubota model L285F of around the year 1977. It is about 26 PTO hp.
b) An old square back genuine brand Bushog as the cutter.
c) JD model 594 rake which I reurbished (this dates to somewhere between a 1940-1948 year vintage by casting codes).
d) NH 65 compact baler which is either a 1960 or 1961 year.
e) The green goblin tractor operator is my wife who did all the tractor driving, but spray painted herself out of all my pictures. She hates cameras and usually hides from them - LOL.

All the old iron held up well. Unfortunately can not say the same for the weather which led to some of the hay getting rained on. I was only able to save about 2/3 of what I expected to get. That said what I was able to save turned out really well - much better than I expected after it was rained on. At any rate I will just have to chalk it up to a learning experience- LOL.

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00098-1.jpg

/ Hobby haying pics with a compact tractor and bushog #2  
Nice pics. It is always interesting to see how others farm. I was suppose to be tedding my hay today but had a reaction to a new medication and have been out of commision all day. I am hoping to either be able to ted first thing tomorrow or have a helper do it but my helper is very busy. Oh well, the joys of working alone. I wish I had a green goblin to help out:)

/ Hobby haying pics with a compact tractor and bushog #3  
That tractor operator is looking a little ill......a little green:)

/ Hobby haying pics with a compact tractor and bushog #4  
Excellent photos. Interesting haymaking technique.

Common wisdom says that rotary mowers like your bush hog chop the hay too much and make baling difficult. Apparently you've figured out a way around this problem. Any special setup on your baler to get it to bale OK with this bush hogged hay?

One problem with using bush hogs on the 3pt hitch is lodged hay along the track of the tractor tires. I see what appears to be that problem in your 5th photo showing a rear view of your rake. Haying purists would give you demerits for leaving too much unmowed product in the field.

Bush Hog's model 305 and 306 rotary mowers have a removable panel on the left side of the mower so the cuttings blow out the side instead of the rear. Evidently this keeps the mulching acting of the mower to a minimum and gives a hay product that can be handled by small square bales.

Bushhog-removablesideSmall.jpg

There's also an optional windrower attachment on these mowers.

Bushhog-windrowerattachmentSmall.jpg

/ Hobby haying pics with a compact tractor and bushog #5  
The body snatchers are baaaack :eek:...looks like this small 2WD tractor has earned its keep many times over LOL

/ Hobby haying pics with a compact tractor and bushog #6  
Nice pics. It is always interesting to see how others farm. I was suppose to be tedding my hay today but had a reaction to a new medication and have been out of commision all day. I am hoping to either be able to ted first thing tomorrow or have a helper do it but my helper is very busy. Oh well, the joys of working alone. I wish I had a green goblin to help out:)

Not to hijack this interesting thread but Robert how is the back doing?

MarkV

/ Hobby haying pics with a compact tractor and bushog
Common wisdom says that rotary mowers like your bush hog chop the hay too much and make baling difficult. Apparently you've figured out a way around this problem. Any special setup on your baler to get it to bale OK with this bush hogged hay?

One problem with using bush hogs on the 3pt hitch is lodged hay along the track of the tractor tires. I see what appears to be that problem in your 5th photo showing a rear view of your rake. Haying purists would give you demerits for leaving too much unmowed product in the field.

Bush Hog's model 305 and 306 rotary mowers have a removable panel on the left side of the mower so the cuttings blow out the side instead of the rear. Evidently this keeps the mulching acting of the mower to a minimum and gives a hay product that can be handled by small square bales.

No special set-up needed on the baler at all as the hay on my bush hog discharges out rather cleanly without getting chopped up into little pieces. I have seen the removable side option on rotary cutters before (even King cutter as a "hayside model" which used to be priced essentially the same as their standard model. Also, many a farmer have made their own version by using a cutting torch. Mine works fine as is and I have no plans to modify it.

You are correct about some hay getting mashed down from the tractor tires and some indeed does not get cut. This issue is further enhanced on my bushhog by the fact that it does not have suction type blades on it - it has simple flat blades lacking the suction ear. (The advantage to these type blades is that there is no extra mulching action of the grass by the blades. The disavantage is that some of the mashed down grass does not get cut). This will be a problem of vary sorts on any brand rotary cutter unless it is offset to the side like the newer drum mowers are, but these drum mowers are way out of my price range for my minimal acreage.

As for haying purists giving me demerits - well I could care less as I am surely not out to please them. If it bothers them that much that I am leaving a little of my hay in my field then they are welcome to come on over and cut it for me. I will certainly let them cut it assuming they are willing to do it for free and be there when it needs to be cut. Or alternatively, if they are willing to give me an expensive attachment that would do a better job, then I would certainly accept that for free as well. Heck if these purists want to give me a bigger nicer tractor for free, then I would certainly accept that too. (note: I love the looks of that new New Holland Boomer 8N retro if any of these purists are willing to be Santa Claus). Until these Santa Claus purists are willing to show up with presents, then I will have to continue to use items that I can afford to pay for myself as I believe in paying my own way in life via both hard work and making smart/sound business decisions.

Overall the bushog is not the best tool for the job, but it can certainly work in a pinch. Another benefit to using the bush hog is that it will also help promote drying by serving as a poor man's conditioner. Grass hay will dry down faster from the bushog as compared to a sickle mower alone as the hay does get mangled some. The downside to using a rotary cutter is there is definitely some yield loss (estimating about 20%-25% in my case, but units that do not discharge the grass well would be even higher). However my 20%-25% loss is not that significant on the measly 4 acres or so that I am playing around on. It would take me years to recoup my costs on an alternative piece of equipment that was in good working condition based on yield savings alone. Another benefit to the bushog is that it is easy for anyone to use and it requires almost zero maintenance and what little maintenance is required is essentially free. I do not think the "green goblin" could handle operating my old sickle bar even if it were ready for use - which it is not. Heck I am still not convinced that any potential yield savings will even pay for my sickle sections as needed on the sickle mower - let alone guards, pitmans, or if anything else breaks. I do hope to try out the old sickle mower on the next cutting, but time has been an issue lately so it may not happen. Regardless, I will continue to use the bushog on those occasions where dry time is critical or when the wife has to do all the tractor seat time like occured this time.

Last edited:
   / Hobby haying pics with a compact tractor and bushog
The body snatchers are baaaack :eek:...looks like this small 2WD tractor has earned its keep many times over LOL

The body snatchers: Yes as mentioned the wife hates cameras and sabotaged the pics, but at least she did not totally destroy them so the theme is still evident.

As for the tractor: It has been a good one. It actually looks worse than it is due to the hideous yellow paint. A local park service purchased it new and I think the only duty it ever saw was loading gravel. The good news is that the maintenance on it by them was impecable. I found layer after layer of service stickers under the hood for every maintence item since it was new. In many cases, I peeled several layers of maintenance stickers. At any rate, I hope to paint it some day but have been saying that for the 10 years that I have owned it. I bought it with 950 hours and it has about 1250 hours on it now - does not use/leak even a drop of oil.

10 years ago, used compacts were priced out of site assuming you were even lucky enough to find one back then. I payed less for this one than the Ford 8N's equiped with the cumbersome cage trip bucket loaders were selling for back then.

More used compact tractors available out there today as their popularity has kept growing which helps populate the used tractor market. Sure I would love to have 4wd and power steering but really can not justify it for the 30-35 hours I put on this tractor a year. Have been seriously considering spending $450 to add power steering to it, but it steers pretty easily and why add something else to potentially break or fail if it is not truly needed.

/ Hobby haying pics with a compact tractor and bushog #9  
Nice job editting in the bailer to the tractor picture. This can't possibly be the real deal. Everybody knows you can't possibly bail hay with under 65hp (or was that 165 hp?). Why now how are you gonna pick up them bales? You need a kicker pan or ejector add-on to do that, and a few more wagons or a seeyoulator to bring 'em back to your 80,000 sq-ft dairy barn. That alone adds another ton or two to the tractor weight requirements. And how about all that jerkin' from that plunger shaking the operator near to death (maybe that's my Mom is painted out??) If so you are a cruel man. I figure you used the BH because, as we all know, only real farmers use a disk cutter now days... And help us Lord, if that's a gas tractor, you could burn down the whole county. Expect them cows or horses to that that sileage? I'd sooner let them starve to death than be caught feedind out USDA unapproved foodstuff. We sure live in desparate times...:p

/ Hobby haying pics with a compact tractor and bushog #10  
No special set-up needed on the baler at all as the hay on my bush hog discharges out rather cleanly without getting chopped up into little pieces. I have seen the removable side option on rotary cutters before (even King cutter as a "hayside model" which used to be priced essentially the same as their standard model. Also, many a farmer have made their own version by using a cutting torch. Mine works fine as is and I have no plans to modify it.

You are correct about some hay getting mashed down from the tractor tires and some indeed does not get cut. This issue is further enhanced on my bushhog by the fact that it does not have suction type blades on it - it has simple flat blades lacking the suction ear. (The advantage to these type blades is that there is no extra mulching action of the grass by the blades. The disavantage is that some of the mashed down grass does not get cut). This will be a problem of vary sorts on any brand rotary cutter unless it is offset to the side like the newer drum mowers are, but these drum mowers are way out of my price range for my minimal acreage.

As for haying purists giving me demerits - well I could care less as I am surely not out to please them. If it bothers them that much that I am leaving a little of my hay in my field then they are welcome to come on over and cut it for me. I will certainly let them cut it assuming they are willing to do it for free and be there when it needs to be cut. Or alternatively, if they are willing to give me an expensive attachment that would do a better job, then I would certainly accept that for free as well. Heck if these purists want to give me a bigger nicer tractor for free, then I would certainly accept that too. (note: I love the looks of that new New Holland Boomer 8N retro if any of these purists are willing to be Santa Claus). Until these Santa Claus purists are willing to show up with presents, then I will have to continue to use items that I can afford to pay for myself as I believe in paying my own way in life via both hard work and making smart/sound business decisions.

Overall the bushog is not the best tool for the job, but it can certainly work in a pinch. Another benefit to using the bush hog is that it will also help promote drying by serving as a poor man's conditioner. Grass hay will dry down faster from the bushog as compared to a sickle mower alone as the hay does get mangled some. The downside to using a rotary cutter is there is definitely some yield loss (estimating about 20%-25% in my case, but units that do not discharge the grass well would be even higher). However my 20%-25% loss is not that significant on the measly 4 acres or so that I am playing around on. It would take me years to recoup my costs on an alternative piece of equipment that was in good working condition based on yield savings alone. Another benefit to the bushog is that it is easy for anyone to use and it requires almost zero maintenance and what little maintenance is required is essentially free. I do not think the "green goblin" could handle operating my old sickle bar even if it were ready for use - which it is not. Heck I am still not convinced that any potential yield savings will even pay for my sickle sections as needed on the sickle mower - let alone guards, pitmans, or if anything else breaks. I do hope to try out the old sickle mower on the next cutting, but time has been an issue lately so it may not happen. Regardless, I will continue to use the bushog on those occasions where dry time is critical or when the wife has to do all the tractor seat time like occured this time.

I salute your independent thinking. Keep it up. Nil illegitimi carborundum.

I've been watching the Web for info on your method of mowing a hayfield. Thanks to this thread, I know now that I can use my rotary bush hog as a backup to my sicklebar mowers and still get a good yield.

I have 10 acres of flat pasture with 6-7 acres available for haying. I'm a newby when it comes to hobby haying, which is what I'm into, and I'm definitely not a haying purist. I'm more of a "git er done" type.

Actually, I'm more into the haying machinery than into making $$ selling bales. My hayfield is more a test area for machinery than a farm. Getting and keeping old haying machinery working has turned out to be a real challenge for me.

The first two years on this property I just mowed the weeds with a bush hog. By the third year the pasture was becoming increasingly rougher and needed to be disced and smoothed. I figure if you spend the time and money (fuel) discing, you probably should just go all the way and plant a hay crop (plant in Nov, bale in May). Which is mostly rationalization on my part to justify buying a bunch of used (and, sometimes) abused haying equipment.

You're right about the economics of hobby haying. Continual expense and little or no profit in dollars. I've replaced the sickle sections on my $550 MF-41 sicklebar mower (cost: $30) and need to replace the ledger plates on the guards. TSC sells the guard/ledger assemby for $10 each, so $280 to replace all of them. AgriSupply sells ledger plates for $3 each but the old rivets have to be drilled out and the new ledgers riveted into place. My MF dealer wants $5 each for the ledger plates.

I've looked into small disc and drum mowers (6-7 ft size) that would fit my Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto). Good used ones cost at least $2K; beaters still get $1K or better. I can buy a lot of sickle bar parts for $2K. And I cut hay but once a year in the Spring since my field isn't irrigated. So a disc/drum mower would be a definite luxury for me. Disc mower blades may be cheaper than sicklebar parts, but if the drive mechanism needs replacement parts then $$$$.

My rake is an $800 JD350 side delivery type that hangs on the 3pt hitch and runs off the pto. Works great. One of my better purchases.

My MF-124 baler cost $2000. Working out a problem now with jams in the baling chamber. Focusing attention on the slip clutch (misadjusted?, worn disc pads?). Am learning a lot about the baler troubleshooting one problem at a time.

I noticed that you run your bush hog in the level position.
Question: have you experimented with running your bush hog tilted forward (front down, rear up) to see if it cuts better?

Next Spring when I have another stand of hay, I'll run some tests with my 6ft Hawkline bush hog at various tilts and see what happens.

One more question: is your hayfield natural pasture grass? If not, what equipment do you use for tilling and planting?