Haying tractor

/ Haying tractor #1  

farm123

Looking at buying a tractor for ag use. Prefer new. Cab and 4x4 with fel a must. Mostly square baling with about 50-100 4x4 grass hay rolls a year. Looked at 5325. Any thoughts?

/ Haying tractor #2  
I would consider it, it is a good tractor. Why not look into the newer models coming out now? Something like the 5075M and up, since for most of us these are long term purchases I would lean towards the newer models.

Steve

/ Haying tractor #3  
With 55hp at the pto; you might be on the short side of the Hp curve when cranking out big bales.

Steve is on the mark with the advice to look for a 75hp tractor - IMO. And maybe a bit more power if you're using a mower-conditioner, too.

A 5525 wouldn't be a bad fit.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ Haying tractor #4  
With 55hp at the pto; you might be on the short side of the Hp curve when cranking out big bales.

Steve is on the mark with the advice to look for a 75hp tractor - IMO. And maybe a bit more power if you're using a mower-conditioner, too.

A 5525 wouldn't be a bad fit.

Best of luck.

AKfish

FYI ... I run a 43 hp tractor, use a DM 1160 disc mower and a Case IH 8430 round bale that puts out a 4x4 round bale no problem.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 215
   / Haying tractor #5  
and did 500 bales this year ...

/ Haying tractor #6  
FYI ... I run a 43 hp tractor, use a DM 1160 disc mower and a Case IH 8430 round bale that puts out a 4x4 round bale no problem.

I have a 43 hp unit and a 60 hp unit and both may do the job but for an all in one tractor it is far better to move up to a tractor large enough to handle ground engaging tasks as well as the haying equipment. A 75 hp tractor is a good fit for small farms and ranches needing an all purpose tractor.

Steve

/ Haying tractor #7  

Yup... can be done, alright. Looks real similar to the hay country where I grew up - SD. Mow on Friday and bale on Saturday! Hot and dry. And bale early in the morning or late in the afternoon to get at least some little bit of moisture on the hay or all the leaves shatter...

Up here, the timothy gets to your belt-buckle and it's thick enough that you have to kick your feet hard walking through it to keep from trippin'. It takes Hp to mow and you need a conditioner to give you that little bit of help to get you baling on day 3-4 after cutting.

I'm looking at the DM 1140 for my 43hp tractor right now. But, I think in the long run, I'd be better off puttin' my money on a good, used JD 2640 or 2840.

AKfish

/ Haying tractor #8  
In my opinion you should just spend 10 grand and get a 4020

/ Haying tractor #9  
It would be helpful to know where you are at in the world and the lay of your land. As AKFish pointed out, your hay crop will make a difference.

Here in the hilly northeast, I would say you are a little light on HP and possibly weight. A 5425 or 5525 would be a really good fit for your needs around here. My mower in first cutting can put a pretty good load on the tractor. Traction is not a problem with this light of a tractor due to the addition of 4x4. I have added fluid to the rears, 2 wheel weights per side for the FEL and this also helps prevent pushing when baling on hillsides.

/ Haying tractor #10  
In my opinion you should just spend 10 grand and get a 4020

Won't get much of an argument from me on a 4020! :D Only issue is size and weight for trailering.

The 2640 is around 6,500 lbs. with a JD 146 FEL. With 70hp at the pto; it's got enough to snort to pull a 9' conditioner.

The 4020 is around 9,000 lbs. WITHOUT a FEL. And with ~95hp at the pto; you could power a 13' conditioner.

But, I can move the 2640 on my 14K trailer - I wouldn't be very interested in trying to move a 4020 up the ALCAN (3,400 miles from SD). :eek:

AKfish