HOW DOES A IH-MCCORMICK HAY RAKE NO.15 WORK

/ HOW DOES A IH-MCCORMICK HAY RAKE NO.15 WORK #1  

sterner vl

I have obtained an old IH-McCormick hay rake, model number 15. It is different then some of the old fluffers and hay rake I have used in the past.

What are the adjusting screw for? Some previous owner had welded stops on them.

How much tension should there be to engage and disengage the real from the driver? Some previous owner has used air craft cable and ran it from the leaver to the front end of the rake.

There is a hardwood tension block attached near the left front drive wheel. I am assuming that there was an idler gear and adjustment for the chain and someone has cut the gear off and shorten the chain to the point the tension block is not needed.

I believe that the rake was manufactured around 1957. This was determined from a document that discusses the color scheme for the rake.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

/ HOW DOES A IH-MCCORMICK HAY RAKE NO.15 WORK #2  
Hi....I think I may have the same model of hay rake....not sure the model number is worn off. The two screws on top are used to lower and raise (adjust) the hieght of the tines. The cable is for engaging and disengaging the gear box that turns the bars with the tines.(I think the cable just hangs slack when gears are engaed.) The cable is OME. The hardwood block is also correct.....it acts to keep the chain tension correct. Hope this helps......sorry for some of the poor terminology but I've never found a manual.
If left outside for long periods of time my gear box does get water in it (this can present many problems eg. freezing and cracking gearbox.
Casey

/ HOW DOES A IH-MCCORMICK HAY RAKE NO.15 WORK #3  
The model 16 has a few differences and is easier to find. You are correct and we do see some of the modifications we have seen.

/ HOW DOES A IH-MCCORMICK HAY RAKE NO.15 WORK #4  
Hi, If you have a McCormock International Harvester model 15 rake, it has five bars, is chain driven, has a gearbox on its left side, and there are two round holes in the frame. My model number rubbed off too and I need to find a parts manual for it.

/ HOW DOES A IH-MCCORMICK HAY RAKE NO.15 WORK #5  
Henry,

Any luck finding a parts manual for this one?

The CaseIH publications site has the Owners Manual ($5) and the Service Manual ($7) available for download, but no parts manual. Anyone have a copy?

Model 15.JPG

/ HOW DOES A IH-MCCORMICK HAY RAKE NO.15 WORK #6  
I have one also. Have not used it yet so I was wondering if there is anything to watch for or how they work. Just put new tires on it, have all new rubber teeth for it, and am in the process of sandblasting and paint.