JD 3320 and hay baling

/ JD 3320 and hay baling #1  

marshallbrew

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a JD 3320 to do some work around the farm. I have 10 acres, and about 7 of it I get hay off of. In the past, a "friend" has been cutting, raking and baling it for me. I'm looking to start doing it on my own. Would the 3320 be able to handle a baler, such as a 24T?

Thanks,
Matt

/ JD 3320 and hay baling #2  
:welcome:
I suspect it would handle it ok, but may need some weights if you pull a bale wagon behind the baler.

Staying on top of haying 7 acres will be expensive per bale. But more fun to do it yourself, than having it done by someone else. :D

/ JD 3320 and hay baling
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm just trying to figure out what's the best baler to purchase for the size of tractor that I have. If anyone has better suggestions, I'm open to them.

Matt

/ JD 3320 and hay baling #4  
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a JD 3320 to do some work around the farm. I have 10 acres, and about 7 of it I get hay off of. In the past, a "friend" has been cutting, raking and baling it for me. I'm looking to start doing it on my own. Would the 3320 be able to handle a baler, such as a 24T?

Thanks,
Matt

How many HP is that tractor? Ken Sweet

/ JD 3320 and hay baling #6  
You have plenty of HP to pull the 24T baler, Just be careful about going down a hill and letting it push you. Some extra ballast on the tractor would be good. Ken Sweet

/ JD 3320 and hay baling #7  
I wouldn't bale with that tractor, but it may handle it. I sure the heck wouldn't pull a wagon behind the baler.

/ JD 3320 and hay baling #8  
I've baled with a 22 hp lightweight Yanmar, including pulling a 4 place snowmobile trailer behind the baler which eventually got 200+ hand stacked bales on it. I believe I have a Polaroid of it around here somewhere. And, definitely have a video cassete of it. Just because people wouldn't do it doesn't make it impossible. It just means they can't see it being done safely or quickly (Good, Fast, Cheap: Can only pick 2). I'd say that a heavy mower (like a 9' haybine) can be a problem going down a big hill if you don't have live power to disengage it.

I said I wouldn't do it without air conditioning, a compact refrigerator, a couple of drink holders and the neighbor's daughter in her bikini on the wagon, either, but she forced me.

Magister artis ingeniique largitor venter !

/ JD 3320 and hay baling #9  
There is a guy that lives a couple miles from me and he bales with a 35 horse NH Boomer. The baler is a kicker and he is pulling a wagon. His ground is as flat as it can be. That tractor looks so small pulling all that!

/ JD 3320 and hay baling #10  
Would the 3320 be able to handle a baler, such as a 24T?

Hi Matt,

Most recent model small square balers recommend a min of 35 PTO HP. Older models called for 30 PTO HP. Your JD3320 has 25 PTO HP. So you are underpowered if you strictly look at specs. However you only have 7 acres in hay to do. If I was you I'd certainly give it try. I'd suggest you borrow/rent a small baler and test. Really it all depends on the windrow size and ground speed as to whether your tractor will be over stressed. You can control both of these. I'm certain with only 7 acres you could make it work.

Darrell