All Time Baling Record?

/ All Time Baling Record? #1  

WillysWoodPile

Bronze Member
Tractor
Only garden tractors and tillers at this time. But our family farm(s) have lots of John Deere tractors.
--- I have asked my Uncle Lee this question a couple of times over the last 20 years so I am fairly certain it is accurate.
--- I asked him what was the most bales of hay he had ever baled in one day. He said that he and his buddies baled, and put up, about 10,000 bales in one day. He also said that they did not quit at the normal time (if there is such a thing) but continued [I assume] well into the night.
--- This would have been in the 60's or 70's.

--- Does anybody have a similar tale where you baled until you couldn't bale anymore?
--- I've yet to ask him how many guys he had baling with him to get an accurate picture of what I am describing. But I will tomorrow.

/ All Time Baling Record? #2  
10.000 bales..dang.
There must been more than couple tractors balers etc. and lots of water consume.

/ All Time Baling Record? #3  
10.000 bales..dang.
There must been more than couple tractors balers etc. and lots of water consume.
Yeah! Thats an astounding #. I wonder what the particulars are.
My baler is not fast by todays standards, but itll do around 5/minute. That comes to at least 2 needed and a looong day with no downtime. Im guessing 2 hi capacity would give some breathing room.
larry

/ All Time Baling Record?
10.000 bales..dang.

More like Miller, and PBR.

--- Usually granny would bring us lunch, and I would get juice or whatever in a Mason jar. I remember one time when I was about 12 that I ran out of stuff to drink and drank two Miller beers in a can. I ended up under a nearby irrigation system until I went home. And I didn't even like beer but man, was I thirsty. Baling does that to a kid.

--- I just talked to my uncle. He said two balers, and sometimes one.

Yeah! Thats an astounding #. I wonder what the particulars are.
My baler is not fast by todays standards, but itll do around 5/minute. That comes to at least 2 needed and a looong day with no downtime. Im guessing 2 hi capacity would give some breathing room.
larry

--- I just talked to my uncle Lee and he said two balers, and sometimes one. He couldn't give me the actual stats right off the bat [as he usually could] because he had a mild stroke a few months ago. So I do not press him for details, only generalities.
--- I can't remember what type of balers we had. I do remember a New Holland rake.
--- A buddy of mine at his horse farm has a JD 14-T baler but I do not believe it puts out near what our old ones used to. The sound of a perfectly running baler could lull one to sleep.
--- My grandpa could sleep [standing up] while milking his cows.

Getting pretty deep here,,,:laughing:

--- That's what knee-boots are for.

--- Seriously, I will get the real story out of him when I can catch him on a good day. Since his stroke he has not been feeling the best. He is usually very good with numbers, always keeping track of how many walleye we caught in Canada [in his head].
--- He knows what he wants to say but just can't get it to come out. I can see that it's very frustrating for him.

--- Stay tuned....if I can get exact figures then you guys compare those stats with those from your own experience. Please be patient with me.

/ All Time Baling Record? #8  
Many times when baling hay I have found that it felt like 10,000 bales. Actual count varies.

/ All Time Baling Record? #9  
I can remmeebr a 1700 bale day. THis was with one baler and eleven wagons. Two kids on the wagon stacking, Two kids unloading onto the elevator and four kids stacking n the mow. Two tractors running wagons.

We never did over 1000 bales in a day again. THis about killed us. We still ahd to milk 125 cows that night and walk home up hill ( both ways )

/ All Time Baling Record? #10  
10,000 bales.... um I doubt it... A typical baler runs about 70 strokes a minute, and typical bale is 10-14 flakes. Let say an average of 12, if you have 12 strokes per bale. That works out to be 28.57 hours to make 10,000 bales with one baler, nonstop, no breaks, no malfuntions, no reloading twine.

2 balers will still make for 16-18 hour real days.

I can remmeebr a 1700 bale day. THis was with one baler and eleven wagons. Two kids on the wagon stacking, Two kids unloading onto the elevator and four kids stacking n the mow. Two tractors running wagons.

We never did over 1000 bales in a day again. THis about killed us. We still ahd to milk 125 cows that night and walk home up hill ( both ways )

Dano as a kid, one of the local farmers would hire a crew of 4 of us, we
would usually bale 1500-2000 bales a day for 1st and 2nd cuts, less on 3rd
cutting. 2 wagons, one on the baler one making the round trip and
unloading. Things working in our favor, the elevator into the loft could be
loaded up end to end with bales and would not even slow down. I think the
old man had a 2 HP 3 phase motor running it, in the loft he had a powered
conveyor running the length of the barn. So one kid would unload the wagon
and the other would be stacking off the conveyor in the loft. But with the
elevator and conveyor it was fairly easy work and the barns opened east to
west so there was almost always a breeze, it was a sweet set up. The
Farmer's wife would run us back and forth to the field with the old JD A, and
alway have iced tea or lemonade for us and fried chicken for lunch. The