Hay baler

/ Hay baler #1  

fire2240

Tractor
ct225
Looking to see if anyone knows what type of hay balers will work with a ct225bobcat compact tractor?

thanks

/ Hay baler #2  
Welcome to TBN!

Somebody smarter than I might chime in here, but I'm not sure you will find any bailer that will run satisfactorily on 19.5 PTO hp. I personally haven't run across one that would need less than 30 hp.

/ Hay baler #3  
This is a shot in the dark but a very old New Holland #66 runs nicely. Its a very s l o w Production bailer, real light, and puts out a normal sized bale. Our bales averaged 60 - 80 lb each. Good luck trying to find one that is any good now. Run one for years on a Farmall H. It had no "live" PTO. Run it great. . . .John

/ Hay baler #4  
The Massey Ferguson line, 1800 series has a 35 hp requirment, but doesn't give the pto requirment. you can use a search for them.
I do know that there are some compact round balers from china, that are around. Might try one of them.
david

/ Hay baler #6  
That's cool to see the little baler.

So long as a person realized you can buy a good used baler for around a grand, and a good used 30-40 hp farm tractor for 4 grand or so, and be baling for $5000. Should you get tired of it, you can sell the baler & tractor for about the same money.

Not sure how the resale price of those off-shore balers holds up, or parts supplies, for $15,000.

--->Paul

/ Hay baler #7  
yeah, great idea and probably a good sized market for it too but way to expensive!

/ Hay baler #8  
Welcome to TBN!

Somebody smarter than I might chime in here, but I'm not sure you will find any bailer that will run satisfactorily on 19.5 PTO hp. I personally haven't run across one that would need less than 30 hp.

My baler is a Massey Ferguson 124 (small squares, 30-60 inches long, 25-60 lb depending on length and type of crop). The manual says 35 hp pto to run it. I pull it with my 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto).

5525 MF124.JPG

Balers this size have been run with much smaller tractors--like this Farmall Super A (16 hp pto, the baler sequence is about 5 minutes into the video)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvz8-Sw1ntA"]FARMALL Super A - YouTube[/ame]

You can also find old and new balers that are run by dedicated Wisconsin gas engines mounted on the front of the baler with belts to drive the flywheel. The tractor pto is not required to operate this type of baler. You just need enough engine hp to pull the weight. Two hp gets the job done for this guy:D

Baler,engine,horse (Small) (Small).PNG

Good luck.

/ Hay baler #9  
. . . Balers this size have been run with much smaller tractors--like this Farmall Super A (16 hp pto, the baler sequence is about 5 minutes into the video) . . .

A Super A has a big-bore 4 cylinder engine (3.0" bore x 4.0" stroke) and larger displacement. (113 cu in -vs- 85 for the Bobcat) It will develop it's peak hp a a lot lower rpm than the Bobcat engine. It might be somewhat close in "stated" hp, but I'll bet the A has a bunch more torque.

FWIW, I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

/ Hay baler #10  
The CT225 is too small of tractor to run a baler, both in weight and HP. You have to remember, square balers are made to go on larger heavier tractors. Not only for the hP but because of the momentum that the flywheel produces. It will "push" a small tractor. Also if you're on a hill, that heavier baler can/will push you down. Only in todays world are people trying to run balers w/ compact tractors. Some arre really pushing the envelope. Just because you think it might have the HP, doesn't mean it will handle. Kind of like trying to killl a moose w/ a .22. Not enough gunpower there. It wasn't desingned to do so, just like a baler wasn't designed to run behind a 2000-3000 lb. tractor w/ low hp. In your case, it is both the power and weight.

Like someone said, an engine powered baler might be more conducive, no ptp power required and no centrifugal force to push the tractor. If you're in the IN,IL,OH area, I know someone who has a NH w/ a Wisconsin engine for sale.