Did a little hay last week ...

/ Did a little hay last week ... #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
Had good weather and put up 90 acres ... cut with 2 tractors and put up 296
4x5.5' round bales net wrapped ... its all sold right out of the field.

Didn't get many pictures ... too busy getting the hay done.

Also took 500 square bales off of 13 acres and 85 rounds off of another field. That stuff went into the barn.

Just as I feared its getting really dry ... the wind and high temps are pulling the moist right out ... I'm planning to start irrigating this week. If we don't get some rain soon ... liable to be right back to drought conditions.

I've got 40 acres that could be cut but I'm hoping that 60% chance of rain next weekend comes thru and that will help it a little more.

Attachments

• 101_7735.JPG
    101_7735.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 822
  • 101_7749.JPG
    101_7749.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 696
  • 101_7744.JPG
    101_7744.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 766
  • 101_7732.jpg
    101_7732.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 808
   / Did a little hay last week ... #3  
Nice equipment and hay barn. What balers are you using?

/ Did a little hay last week ... #5  
Nice to see the 1st go-around worked good for you, good looking hay too! nice color.

That hay is Gold in the barn right now, hopefully you'll get a few more cuts on the ground.

/ Did a little hay last week ... #6  
Thanks for sharing your pics. We live in an are with lots of mountains so interesting to see how flat it is in your area. Oklahoma is one of the 13 states I haven't visited yet. Reminds me I have to go buy some hay this week. Still have our two calves in our small pasture, the big one still has lots of puddles, if I put the calves in now they will get it nice and muddy. We have the opposite problem here, cooler, wetter and of course cloudier than normal. Don't think any haying will be done in our area till June at the earliest. :):)

/ Did a little hay last week ...
Nice to see the 1st go-around worked good for you, good looking hay too! nice color.

That hay is Gold in the barn right now, hopefully you'll get a few more cuts on the ground.

Thanks Dennis ... I started the irrigator this morning on my best coastal field am going to run an inch of water then put out nitrogen and run another inch ... that will make it grow!!!

If I could get some rain on the fields that were just cut they would make a good second cut. But its getting dry.

That Pearl Millet I drilled in is about 4" tall ... wanting to put some nitrogen on it as well ... just need a rain in the forecast!!!

Hay prices are pretty steady right now ... those bales in the field brought $50 .. The squares are running $8

/ Did a little hay last week ...
Thanks for sharing your pics. We live in an are with lots of mountains so interesting to see how flat it is in your area. Oklahoma is one of the 13 states I haven't visited yet. Reminds me I have to go buy some hay this week. Still have our two calves in our small pasture, the big one still has lots of puddles, if I put the calves in now they will get it nice and muddy. We have the opposite problem here, cooler, wetter and of course cloudier than normal. Don't think any haying will be done in our area till June at the earliest. :):)

Some parts of Oklahoma are pretty flat others got some darn good hills

/ Did a little hay last week ... #9  
Looks good. Yep, I'm kinda thinking drought this summer too. We will start cutting in 2 weeks and already have over 200 4x4's sold. I put nitrogen out(900 lbs Urea @ $333) for the first time in my 9ac field a couple of weeks ago. It is already a deeper darker shad of green than the un-fertilized field next to it. This all new to me, but a soil test only called for nitrogen...nothing else and this field was the lowest producer last season, so I am curious to see if I get my money back.

/ Did a little hay last week ... #10  
Blue

Just looked at the radar tonight...not sure what part of OK you are in - but looks like the majority of the state is getting some soaking rains tonight. That ought to help your hay!!