hay mower suggestions

/ hay mower suggestions #1  

jbjake

Tractor
Ford 631 & 3930
I have about 25 acres of hayground and after two years of working with local contract hay guys (been on farm 2 seasons) I am about fed up and looking to do my own.

Don't want to spend a whole lot of money and am willing to do some mechanical work.

Curious about mowers.....do you think a sickle bar mower would be a good option? i like the idea as it would also allow me to mow our angled ditch and along small creek bed.

Local craigslist has a JD #11 supposedly in good working shape and are asking $600. There is also a Gehl rotary 3pt. asking $1,000. Haven't seen either in person yet just starting to look.

Thoughts? Suggestions? How are those prices?

Thanks.

/ hay mower suggestions #2  
A 7 ft mower conditioner would do better. It helps your hay dry faster so you get better hay and it helps you dodge the rain. that is my vote.

/ hay mower suggestions #3  
A 7 ft mower conditioner would do better. It helps your hay dry faster so you get better hay and it helps you dodge the rain. that is my vote.

Mower Conditioner. A Sickle Mower will take you twice as long to get the hay cured and ready for baling.

/ hay mower suggestions #4  
What kinda tractor you running? You round baling or square baling? If you went with a sickle can always pick up a tedder to help with the curing time.
Even better whats the Budget?