Help picking out a tractor for haying with a JD 24T baler

/ Help picking out a tractor for haying with a JD 24T baler #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
Hi, all.

I'm looking to get myself set up with a small haying operation - I have access to a 24t baler, tedder and rake. What I need is a tractor and a mower. Here's what the dealer said (keeping in mind the 24t is an old, but reliable square baler - about as small as they come):

I asked about a 3038e and he said no way. That it's too light. I can appreciate that. But, he's telling me to start at 40 hp in a 4000-series chassis. That seems like a lot of power for a small baler. And a big tractor.

Any opinions on this?

Will I tire of climbing into and settling in the seat of a 4005? Will the hump annoy?? The open platform of the 3038e was what captured my interest.

Also, for anyone with experience, I assume it's worthwhile investing in a disc mower instead of a sickle bar? Lower maintenance and cleaner cut seem to be the draw.

Thanks.

/ Help picking out a tractor for haying with a JD 24T baler #2  
How many acres of hay you talking about? What kind of hay? Do you want or need 4 wheel drive? Even with a square baler you should probably be looking at a 5055 D or E plus or minus a size. It's 55 engine horse power so probably 15-20 % less at the pto. The important thing is you need the weight of this machine to run the size of equipment your talking about. A disc mower and possible the baler are both to heavy and maybe demand too much power to go with something like a 4005. The front end of the 4005 would probably spend most of it's time in the air. Furthermore, a 5 d or e series is probably similiarly priced or cheaper then many of the 4000 series tractors. Another thing to consider is if you plan on using a wagon to haul the bales out of the field it wouldn't take a very big load and it would be pushing the smaller tractors around which can be very dangerous.

/ Help picking out a tractor for haying with a JD 24T baler #3  
5045D or 5045E is the smallest I would go. You need a full-size utility tractor to run a baler, not a compact. Sure there are many folks who do use a baler with compact tractors, but it is really hard on the driveline and not a good long term solution. If you plan on running even a small disc mower you should step up to a 5055D/E, so you'll have enough power.

/ Help picking out a tractor for haying with a JD 24T baler #4  
If it has to be a JD tractor, check out the posts by TBN member zzvyb6. He has a JD1070 that he uses for baling and he knows a heck of a lot about these small square balers.

FYI, my baler is a Massey Ferguson 124 (same size as that JD 24T) and I run it with my 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, about 6500 lb with the FEL and loaded rear tires). My place is 10 acres with about 6 acres of flat hayfield.

/ Help picking out a tractor for haying with a JD 24T baler #5  
You didn't mention how many acres you're planning to bale. I can only assume that you're likely in the 10 acre or less range - given the Hp of the tractor's you've listed and the age/size of the baler.

I currently bale around 15 acres for our needs. And I lend a hand to the neighbor's as well. Last year baled around 3,000 small squares.

First 2 years was with a JD110TLB (43hp gross - 33hp @ pto). JD 336 square baler, Kuhn disc mower, Kuhn rotary rake and New Holland tedder. Everything worked just fine. Kept my bale weights around 40lbs.

I wouldn't recommend any less tractor Hp. I also have some reservation's about the long-term implications of using the baler and the eHydro transmission. I don't think the centrifical forces of the plunger strikes are within the design limitations of eHydro transmission... and were not on the minds of the engineers at JD when the CUT's were developed. That said - the newer 4000 series machines with 50 and 56Hp are right in the horsepower "sweet spot" for small baler operations. Those transmissions may have a more HD design to contend with the greater horsepower demands.

Highly recommend a disc mower versus a sickle mower. Faster, cleaner cut and greater ease of mowing under all conditions. Heavy hay, wet hay, down hay - all the types of conditions that make a sickle mower - PLUG! And the maintainence chores with a disc mower are a real breeze compared to the sharpening, blade replacement, guard replacement and belt problems that are more common with a sickle machine.

AKfish

/ Help picking out a tractor for haying with a JD 24T baler
Hey. Thanks, AKfish and all! Now that I'm acquainting myself, it seems that I'm going even bigger... a 5045e seems to have the right weight, transmission and ergonomics. The only downside is the price. Gulp!

/ Help picking out a tractor for haying with a JD 24T baler #7  
I moved your thread to the new Haying forum!

/ Help picking out a tractor for haying with a JD 24T baler #8  
I'm running a JD 328 on my 5045D. So far, so good!

/ Help picking out a tractor for haying with a JD 24T baler #9  
Do you have to go new? I am seeing some good looking tractors about the size you need on cragslist in my area. Look to be good solid tractors for 6 or 7 grand. Just my :2cents:

/ Help picking out a tractor for haying with a JD 24T baler #10  
I'm interested in getting some haying equipment. Been looking at 24T balers and need to find a sickle mower-or the like. What is the difference between a 24T and a 14T? I may be able to get a 14T for a reasonable amount. I only have a 4300 four wheel drive tractor with synch-reverser with a bucket on the front.