Silver Member
    Tractor
    new holland and a ford

Default different colored baling twine

I sell a variety of hay (small, square) horse feed, livestock feed, construction, 2nd cut. It all goes in my barn and I have to either remember or mark-off where the different hay is piled. I thinking I could used different colored twine , essestially color-code the bales, regualr sisal, green sisal, blue plastic, red plastic. Anyone else done this, does it make sense?

Can I use plastic ok in my New Holland 565 baler?

Platinum Member High Compression's Avatar
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60

Default Re: different colored baling twine

I think it's a good idea! Round here we buy what ever color is on sale. Soo... you'll just have to stock up different colors and set your code. The one thing that is going to suck though, is re-threading your baler every time you want to change colors.
    "It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by High Compression View Post
    The one thing that is going to suck though, is re-threading your baler every time you want to change colors.
    Tie the new twine to the old twine in the twine box, pull it through and tie it off just before the knotters. Might lose the first bale if switching from sisal to poly, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    jd 1070

I think its a great idea, but the switch from sisal to plastic and back will require baler adjustments to the twine box and the twine disk tension settings. Plastic is more slippery, so it needs higher friction settings to get the recommended 10 lb pull thru force. You also might need to adjust the bale tension because the new material density will affect bale weight.

I'd sure like to find bright yellow twine because the contrast to green hay makes it easier to locate the strings when loading on and off the elevators. Orange is ok, but the John Deere green is hidden pretty well.

Changing out twine color is just a matter of cutting it at the twine box and tying in the new stuff. Trip the knotter and feed in some new material. All it should take is one bale to register the new color.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    Case 1194, Ford 641, NH TT75A

You don't need all the twine in a bale to be different color, just take a can spray paint the color you want and paint the top of the twine bale, you'll end up with twine that has a small section of color every couple feet...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Case 1194, NH TT75A, Ford 600, Bobcat A300, balers, rakes, mowers, tedders, spreaders and lots of other toys as well...

- Jim

Tractor
    None

I moved your thread to the new Haying forum!
    Briana
    TBN Support

Tractor
    new hollaand

I do this with my round baler. Usually 2 colors blue and red for hay with no rain and hay with rain. Sometimes I only get a feild half baled and a shower hits. Change twine color and than I can tell the bales apart when Iam picking them up and stacking