Another Hay Wagon Rebuild

/ Another Hay Wagon Rebuild
I talked with a carpenter...he said to put the boards with the cup down...like a frown.

Home from vacation on Sunday and started more work on the wagon. Got the deck completed.
sep4.jpg
sep2.jpg
sept1.jpg

Put on side boards...used original boards and hinges. Won't be able to use original front and rear boards because the rebuild is wider. Will use 5/4 x 6 treated wood for front and back. The back is on hinges and the front has stake pockets.
sep12c.jpg

/ Another Hay Wagon Rebuild #24  
Looks good.

/ Another Hay Wagon Rebuild #25  
Nice job. My dad has an old hay wagon and this is making me want to tear it down and rebuild it.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I took off the wheels and had the tires de-mounted. One was so bad that it took three guys and three pry bars and a can of spray lubricant to get it off the rim. Needless to say, the inside of the rims had lots of flaking rust and I wire wheeled them alot. One rim had rusted through pretty bad around the valve stem hole. I asked a neighbor if he could fill it in with some metal pieces and braze it. He wanted to charge $60.00 per hour and it would take about 1.5 hours. Ouch.
So instead of going that route, I got some J.B. Weld and did it myself. Turned out better than I expected. Saved money that could otherwise be spent on paint and grease for the axles and rims.
Inside one of the rims there was some paint that said "40 CHEV". I suppose the rims could have come from an old chevy because there were extra spoke holes around the rim. Smaller holes than the metal spokes that are currently used. I think that someone used old wagon wheels and different rims and welded them together... However, inside of one of the rims I noticed a stamping in the metal that said "Made in U.S.A. by Motor Wheel Co." There is also a stamping that has numbers "16, 100 or 400, and 576." I guess the 16 could mean the rim size as there were 16" tires on it. I will post pics later when I get them transfered to my computer.
I used an old tractor inner tube and cut strips to put around the inside of the rims to help keep moisture from weeping through the extra spoke holes. I am going to paint the rims white and the caps red. I am also going to paint the rest of the wagon red for a Farmall...IH theme. I will pull the wagon with my '51Farmall Super C which I am continuing to fix up. It is mechanically sound, just needs lots of wire brushing and painting.

sept26b.jpg

sept26c.jpg
Sorry...this pic is upside down.

/ Another Hay Wagon Rebuild #28  

I see you found the manufacture info on the inside of the rim. Most all rims made back when things were a quality product had the info stamped into them. On my Case Sc the rims are stamped December 1944. Once you paint the inside of the rims you will never have to worry about them rotting for another 70 years or so. Good luck.

Got the rims back with the used tires back today and packed the bearings and put on new felt seals. I think it is all starting to come together now. Need to let the wood dry for a while before I paint with an oil base. Here are some more pics.
oct3a.jpg oct3b.jpg oct3c.jpg

oct3d.jpg oct3e.jpg oct3f.jpg

oct3h.jpg oct3i.jpg

From my previous post...the last picture shows the old seal. It was also felt with a thin layer of rubber. I think the new one will be ok without any rubber as long as I keep them greased well.

In another picture you can see the "castle nut". It's not really a nut, it does not have threads just different depths of slots where a pin goes.

I have a picture of a wheel with the cap installed on the trailer. I will post it as soon as my e-mail goes through to my computer.