small scale haying

/ small scale haying
so build it as an attachment to the end of your wood splitter and take the work out of the compression stroke

That is basically what I did. I found a used cyl and mounted it in place of the lever. I then barrowed the valve bank off of my splitter. It works real well and the detent on the valve lets me go get more hay while the plunger is returning to the open position.

/ small scale haying #12  
Two thoughts....

We have run my neighbor's baler with a Massey 135 in a pinch..... so if you ever came across a cheap baler you may be able to make bales with your Kubota . We re-bale broken bales from the barn stationary.... feeding the baler with hay forks.

You might want to think about making a mini version of your baler. I see places selling tiny bales in the fall as decorations for $8 each !

Last edited:
   / small scale haying #13  
very cool!!
I would love to try this method myself someday.
We use about 35-40 bales a year for or animals this method would be perfect for us too i think.
How much do you think you have invested in your setup?

/ small scale haying
Two thoughts....

We have run my neighbor's baler with a Massey 135 in a pinch..... so if you ever came across a cheap baler you may be able to make bales with your Kubota if you came across a cheap one. We re-bale broken bales from the barn stationary.... feeding the baler with hay forks.

You might want to think about making a mini version of your baler. I see places selling tiny bales in the fall as decorations for $8 each
Ductape
I came real close to buying a international 37 baler for $300. It was parked up the road from my house and I had to look at it every morning as I went to gas station to get a coffee. It drove my wife so nutty she told me to call the guy and find out about it. I offered him $200 but he did not go for it. If money had not of been so tight this summer I would have taken a chance on it. He FINALY did move it to a new location.

/ small scale haying
very cool!!
I would love to try this method myself someday.
We use about 35-40 bales a year for or animals this method would be perfect for us too i think.
How much do you think you have invested in your setup?

I did not invest much in the baler itself. I already had the wood and the only thing I bought was screws and some threaded rod. I do however have way too much invested in my mower. I should have bought something else but i am cominted to this one now. The tedder was $100. I hope to find a small rake this winter for cheap money. For the amount of hay you are looking at this would work just fine.

/ small scale haying #16  
great post so far!

/ small scale haying
Here is a video of my baler in action.

/ small scale haying
Here is a closer view of the bale chamber and the piston and ram.

/ small scale haying #19  
Neat project but why bale such little hay? Do you not have storage for loose hay?

/ small scale haying #20  
baled is easier to move than loose....