small scale haying

/ small scale haying
Neat project but why bale such little hay? Do you not have storage for loose hay?
actualy I do not even have enough storage for the baled hay. I am keeping the last crop at work and will bring it home when I need it. I was looking into making loose piles outside when I found the plans for this baler. The bales are easier to work with in the winter months too.

/ small scale haying #22  
So how many bales per day is normal? We do about 300-800 a day giving about 5000 or so per year which isn't a big operation but that's using an 80 strokes per min baler. My guess is you're at 30-50 bales per day?
actualy I do not even have enough storage for the baled hay. I am keeping the last crop at work and will bring it home when I need it. I was looking into making loose piles outside when I found the plans for this baler. The bales are easier to work with in the winter months too.

/ small scale haying #23  
i have either got to build me one or make one of them pin straw type bailers....

/ small scale haying #24  
This is very cool...and timely I was thinking about how to do this on a small scale myself...Neat.

/ small scale haying #25  
yep.. deffinately a good thread!

/ small scale haying
So how many bales per day is normal? We do about 300-800 a day giving about 5000 or so per year which isn't a big operation but that's using an 80 strokes per min baler. My guess is you're at 30-50 bales per day?
I think I could bale 50 in a day maybe more but I sure would not want to. It is not about the amount of production but about keeping cost low and using land that otherwise goes to waste. And it gives me more stuff to do with my kubota :)

/ small scale haying #27  
What is the bore and stroke on your cylinder? It sounds like your just idling your tractor. I'm thinking building one like this on 3pt frame and just running down the windrow.

/ small scale haying
What is the bore and stroke on your cylinder? It sounds like your just idling your tractor. I'm thinking building one like this on 3pt frame and just running down the windrow.

I am not sure on the bore and stroke I would guess its 1 1/2" bore and 16" stroke. I thought about pulling it along and baling as we go but with questionable weather I felt it would be safer to just get the hay on the trailer and bale when I knew it was nice out.

/ small scale haying #29  
Just because I'm a person without free time I'm stuck on the idea that its so slow! Currently working on getting our hay production up over 1000 bales per day with 2 people. Our limitation is weather, we only have about 3-4 hours baling time on those days.

/ small scale haying #30  
Saw these today. Steam engine running a belt driven baler. Thought you guys might enjoy.

Attachments

• image-1063082369.jpg
    image-1063082369.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 145
  • image-3847755647.jpg
    image-3847755647.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 136