Mowing Help!

/ Mowing Help! #11  
There is always the possibility that someone on the forum who is always looking for any excuse to use his tractor and lives close would come over to show you how it's done!

/ Mowing Help! #12  
My church tried mowing about 5 acres with a Craftsman 26 HP, 54 inch mower. It took forever and was beating the mower to pieces. Since I maintain the mower, I just haul my 2320 over and spend a couple of hours and have it done.

I would suggest the OP find a good used CUT or an older 3 point tractor like a Ford, get a bush hog or a rear finish mower, and just use the Craftsman to mow right around the house. With 26 acres, you really need a tractor.

/ Mowing Help! #13  
15 ac to cut? If it was only a 1 time thing.. I'd hire it. but with no animals.. you will becutting it alot.. or letting it grow.

15ac constant cut will kill a consumer grade rider mower.. so will rough cut.

asture cuttinglike that would even wear out a commercial unit before it's time.

go buy an old ford from 47 to 64 and a used 5' mower.

proabbly get the entire package for 3500$ or less.

47-52 8n ok

53-54 Naa.. a lil better.

55-57 600/800 series or 58-62 601/801 series even better! ( 7XX/9XX series is rowcrop.. narrow and wide fronts

63-64 000/4 cyl same as below.. but newer..

personally I'd get a 4 of 5spd and avoid the 10 speed SOS jobs.

will be a mowing fool.

if ya get an old ford.. I know where you can get advice on fixing and maintaining it.. ;)

soundguy

/ Mowing Help! #14  
If you can't afford a CUT look for an older used farm tractor 30 or 35 horse with a 5' bush hog, You could get one for 5 grand or so.:2cents:

could get 2 ugle ones for that.. or one good one with plenty of change.. :)

good old ford 600 series and 5' mower will ding inthe 2-3 ish range depending upon exact options and condition.

remember.. rusty tin mows grass JUST as good as shiney painted tin.

near bald tires that hold air mow grass just as well too!

that's my vote anyway.. :) save that poor rider mower for just the area around the house...

/ Mowing Help! #15  
Here's my Idea: Get someone to mow it and bale it for hay. It's too tall for horse hay, but cows will eat it. Get a local farmer to make into round bales. Tell him if he cut's and bales it he can keep it. (Around here the usual deal is a 50-50 split) With 20 ac's it worth it to local guy to come out and bale it!

/ Mowing Help! #16  
I hope you are not serious about the sears lawn tractor or Garden tractor you bought to mow the field! First of all what you bought is for 1 to 2 acre lawns that are 4- 6" long at the most! You will certainly need to hire someone with a 5 to 8' mow on a 30 - 60 or large tractor. Once the have cut it it will need to be raked up for still your tractor will not be able to cut it! Remember what you bought is for lawns NOT fields!

/ Mowing Help! #17  
I've found using a lawn tractor or a zero turn with a 50"-72" deck just doesn't work well when mowing 3' tall stuff. The deck simply pushed the weeds down and made a ragged cut at best. Requires another pass or two for it to look right and is slow going.
A lawn tractor deck may be 72" wide but its may not be but 3' long at most vs my 6' Rhino rotory mower that is also 72" wide but the deck is 7'-8' long which lets the weeds stand up and get chopped off the first pass.

Try a pass or two and see what happens.

/ Mowing Help! #18  
I've had a tractor mowing business since 1992. Currently I mow about 150 to 200 acres a month depending on the month, using a 15' batwing. I've gained several customers over the years that had the same idea you had. After wearing out their equipment they learn you need some larger equipment, add in the equipment maintenance and it is cheaper to hire someone to mow a couple times a year.

Maybe a better solution would be to have someone hay your land. On my land that's what I do. It allows me to keep an agriculture exemption on the property, plus I don't have to spend the time and money doing it myself. At least you could get the property mowed and it wouldn't cost you. Good luck on your decision.

/ Mowing Help! #19  
I would also get someone to do it for you,then lease it out for hay meadow(written lease with coming to an agreement on things like must bale atleast twice,fertilize,spray weeds,etc.). I mow places like yours all the time,most of the time they just dont wont a tractor and couldnt be out there mowing on an open cab tractor anyways. Some do let me lease from them but then there are some that really dont like the idea of someone else being on there property. Another thing the $55 an hr,what size tractor and mower they running? Do you know if pasture is clean(if not may have to run slower to look out)? How low are they going to mow it,are they going to guarantee a clean mow without going over some twice on the clock? Is there trees do you wont them to clean under them(if limbs are low takes time to back under)? I would get them to bid it,if they mow enough it shouldnt be a problem for them and then you know what your going to have to pay when everything is said and done.
...Rolled up barbed wirer is what gets me the most on first pass:eek:

/ Mowing Help! #20  
I would wait until next year when before the grass is growing to scope it out to see how rough it is and maybe try a little section before the grass grows to high. You might be in for a shock. A smooth pasture may be able to be mowed with some commercial type equipment mentioned but I wouldn't even try it with a 54" deck on anything.