Tractor
54 In. 26hp Kohler Turn Tight Hydrostatic Garden Tractor
Hello,

I am new to owning a 26 acre ranch. :)

15 acres of pasture that needs to be cut--about 3 feet high:eek:

Just bought from Sears:

54 In. 26hp Kohler Turn Tight Hydrostatic Garden Tractor

Will that do it?:confused:

I have no horses or cattle---don't plan on having them. So I need to cut it myself? Or hire somebody to do it?

Any advice? What am I in for on the first cut?

Signed,
Helpless in Hamlin Pennsylvania

/ Mowing Help! #2  
Just a personal opinion....your gonna destroy your mower doing that, I would hire someone with a tractor and bush hog.

/ Mowing Help!
How about I hire someone for the first cut, and then maintain it with my mower....whadyathink

/ Mowing Help! #4  
You would be a lot better off......although 15 acres is gonna keep your mower busy.

/ Mowing Help! #5  
How about I hire someone for the first cut, and then maintain it with my mower....whadyathink

Not a chance! I own a little over 4 acres, with a house and driveway, along with a detached shop and associated driveway. So, I'm probably cutting about 3, 3.2 acres, all told. I have a 72" Zero Turn and it takes me about 2 hour and 15 minutes to mow it. You've got 5 times the amount of land I do, with a smaller mower... Not going to work in my opinion, unless you enjoy spending all weekend on a mower?? :laughing:

Best suggestion is either hire it out and have someone cut it for you when needed, or invest in some equipment. I'm a SCUT guy with no bush hog experience, but there are plenty of guys here that will give you good advice. Good luck!

/ Mowing Help! #6  
You will go nuts cutting 15 acres with a residential mower (that is all you will have time to do) and the mower will eventually be destroyed. You will learn quickly that you need commercial type equipment to do big jobs. You will learn. Ask me how I know.

MoKelly

/ Mowing Help!
Just got an estimate from a company. $55 an hour to do it. The guy says, after HE gets it done. Then I could maintain it..but my new machine isn't going to last for years and years. I should have bought a commercial tractor....but right now can't afford it! Now to convince my husband to let this happen...is another whole thing. and for another forum!!

/ Mowing Help! #8  
I agree with Mud either way. It would probably over heat the first time out in 3' grass after a few minutes. If you had someone cut it the first time and were able to keep it short, I would think the tractor would only last a couple seasons. Pastures usually aren't all to smooth either, so my guess would be that mowing 15 acres would probably take you at least 10 hours at 1 - 1.5 acres an hour. Personally, I would recommend getting a CUT in the 35-45 HP range with a tow behind bush hog at least 6' wide. This way you could mow it once every other week in about 6+ hrs. I used to be able to do about an acre in 20 mins with an 8' fairway mower on a very smooth golf course. Either way, having that much land, a CUT (compact utility tractor) will be priceless.

/ Mowing Help! #9  
If you can't afford a CUT look for an older used farm tractor 30 or 35 horse with a 5' bush hog, You could get one for 5 grand or so.:2cents:

/ Mowing Help! #10  
If you own the land, then look at renting out the pastures you don't want to use. Let the person renting the land take care of it. As for your current problem - either let it grow, or if you just have to have it mowed, then contract with someone to do it. It's not going to grow that much for the remainder of the year, and should give you time to find an acceptable arrangement to rent the land before next spring.

I used to work on a grounds crew and mowed 10 hours a day...they gave me an 8-foot flail mower on the back of a golf course grooming tractor and I could get about 3 acres an hour cut if that gives you an idea of what you can do with a moderately sized mower.