attention ZZ 14t knotter problems

/ attention ZZ 14t knotter problems #1  

BryanM

Gold Member
Tractor
John deere 2155, ford 1600
I need some help with an intermittant problem with my Jd 14t baler. The problem is one side of the knotter is not tying its knot tight enough. the knot looks like their is a knot but one end of the twine pulls right thru the knot. so its like a loose knot then when the bale tightens one end of the string pulls thru.

I am using a bale basket with the 14t. not sure if that has anything to do with it. One side ties great the other is missing ties.

hope that makes sense!:confused2:

/ attention ZZ 14t knotter problems #2  
The bale basket isn't the problem.
Starting easy:
Start at the twine box with your fishing scale, same pull to get twine from both sides? Is the twine route correct?
Are the hay dogs working properly to keep the hay back?
Are your knives sharp, very sharp?
Are the bill hooks etc are smooth, polished looking? Is anything keeping the jaws from closing tight?

Next cycle your knotter by hand while rolling it over. Watch what is going on especially between the two sides. Is the wiper cleaning the knot off right? Was the twine picked up right from the needles at the first part of the cycle? Needles putting twine in the right notched area for the disc to pick up right? Twine disc timing the same side to side?

You may not have enough twine disc tension either from junk stuck in it keeping it spread open or a collapsed spring. Sisal can sometimes break and get stuck in the twine disc area. Clean it up, scape out old broken pieces. This can be a pain, swing the knotter frame up to check it out.

Its likely something simple if its doing it every single cycle. Intermittent stuff is a lot harder to figure out.

I've only ever had trouble with the knife side knotter on my 336 in 10's of thousands of bales. Needle location and twine disc timing early on, an later running the junk sisal they sell now. The sisal give uneven tension coming from the twine box and the lumps etc jam the knotter when it breaks. I don't like the plastic tails all over my property and clients property but I've found it ties far more reliable (missed 1 or 2 out of 5000+ this summer).

/ attention ZZ 14t knotter problems #3  
I need some help with an intermittant problem with my Jd 14t baler. The problem is one side of the knotter is not tying its knot tight enough. the knot looks like their is a knot but one end of the twine pulls right thru the knot. so its like a loose knot then when the bale tightens one end of the string pulls thru.

I am using a bale basket with the 14t. not sure if that has anything to do with it. One side ties great the other is missing ties.

hope that makes sense!:confused2:

I missed seeing your post, Brian.

My guess would be a worn or off-tension billhook tongue. Should take 10 lbs to pull the tongue up. The roller wheel could have frozen and worn away, the tension spring gave up (new one at Home Depot) or it's bent. This allows the knot to be created on the foot, but the clamping force is too low to tighten it up when the scraper pulls it over and off.