How big a tractor for making roll bales?

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #1  

Birch Hill Farm

Bronze Member
Tractor
International 444
How big of a tractor as far as engine hp and pto hp does it take to operate a roll baler? Like something making 5'x5' bales? We have a International 444 with a around 42 engine hp and 38 pto hp. It has weighted wheels and is a heavy old tractor that has no trouble making square bales with a massy 12 square baler. I would like to up grade soon to making roll bales do to the the number of square bales that we have to make and the limited availability of help. Roll bales would save me so much time and would make doing hay a one man job. Just wondering if our tractor is up to the job.
Thanks.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #2  
In these parts more seem to be in the 100 HP range vs <50 HP.

Are you flat or hilly?

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #3  
A smaller 4x4 baler would probably work if you don't have too many hills and hollers. Call Greg at 1-888-478-1343 and see what he says. Ken Sweet

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #4  
Look at what the baler manufacturer recommends as minimum horsepower. I've seen some as low as 50 hp and think that would be risky. I've only used an 85 hp Oliver and 100 hp John Deere and was making 5' x 5' bales.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #5  
I saw a guy the other day pulling one with a small CUT Kubota of maybe 50 HP. I dont know much about HP requirements for round balers but I would think an "old iron" tractor like the 444 would handle it fine. The bales are going to be around 1000-1200 lbs. so your tractor should hold that much weight in check even on a hill. I cant see it taking a whole bunch of power to roll it.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #6  
I think a 50 hp Utility tractor should do it on semi level ground... Weight will always help .I think it takes more hp to mow hay than run any baler

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales?
Thanks for the replys! On these hp numbers, is this pto hp or engine hp that every one is talking about? This part of ky is rolling hills, nothing I cut is very steep but, in some of the fields there is enough of a hill that I wont pull a wagon behind the baler. I assume that the bale size is adjustable on most balers?

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #8  
a 50 hp pto tractor would pull a 4 by 5 baler.you really need a 70 pto hp tractor to pull a 4 by 6 or a 5 by 5 baler.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #9  
you can run a ih 241 6x5 baler with a 444.horsepower requirements vary greatly between balers.i would check out the vermeer rebel balers.your tractor will be heavy enough but you need a low horsepower baler.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #10  
Heston also sells a baler that you can pull with your tractor, I think it is a 4x4 or 4x5 bale. I like a 4ft wide bale if you have to haul them as they load better.