What is this??

/ What is this?? #11  
I think you've got it! Looking through Google images of "maypop" it looks like the same stuff. I wonder why I've never seen it on our place two miles away or any where else? Odd.

I see it along roadsides here in SC and it shows up in an open area on my farm in NC that I bush hog only twice a year. I don't think it does well in cultivated fields or in areas that are frequently mowed. Actually, it's a neat plant. It has a pretty flower and is supposed to have medicinal properties.

Steve

/ What is this?? #12  
If they grow on a vine they may be "passion fruit"...

passion fruit >pictures

if so, the vines will get intricate (mostly purple) flowers...before the fruit appears...

more about passion fruit
>links

/ What is this?? #14  
That is definitely a maypop. They have a rather sickly odor but you can eat the seeds. I used to eat them when I was a kid sometimes. They grew in most of our fields. They didnt seem to hurt the cotton any other than wrap up a cultivator when plowing due to the long vines.

/ What is this?? #15  
Has the shape of a paw-paw but you said they were off a vine?

/ What is this?? #16  
Where I live, they are called rabbit apples. Pretty sure that's not the scientific name, but all I know them as. Not poisonous.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TractorByNet

/ What is this??
Thanks guys. It still seems odd that I've never seen them before. In fact they are only in one small area of the field I mowed. Maybe 50'x50' area total.

Perhaps someone feed hay there once from else where and brought the seeds with it? I dunno.

/ What is this?? #19  
DT86 were do you live in SW Virginia, I am in Lee county the very western tip. I had the same thing in a couple of fields I cut this fall. The cattle love em. You can turn cattle in a field that has this vine and that will be the first thing they eat.

/ What is this??
Washington County.