Drum vs Disc cutter?.... Lou

/ Drum vs Disc cutter?.... Lou #11  
The SFI is new to me. Looks like good prices. Do they have a website? What country builds them? Ken Sweet

Some of machines there look to me made in Turkey products. I remember Phil, we had talked about doing some implement & part business that we didn't realize then due to my pause to works. Maybe, he started to import some from here later.

As for drum vs disc; performance & technically, disc - price & simplicity, drum.

/ Drum vs Disc cutter?.... Lou #12  
Ken the SFI stand for Small Farms implements or innovation don't remember which,, they are out of Caldwell Texas,, the equipment is more than likely made (this is a quess)in Korea or China,, Lou

I get a guy to bale a place for me who runs the SFI cutter,he hasnt had any issues in the two years he has been using it. I personally think it leaves the grass in small windrows,unlike regular cutters...

/ Drum vs Disc cutter?.... Lou #13  

I m downsizing most of my equipment this year also I have written most of it off.. taxes,, I been using Kuhn or krone disc cutters 10',7' for the past few years before that used sickle cutters mostly Ford,, but I m thinking about going with a drum cutter,, 6ft, Here is the question has anyone used a drum cutter and what did you like or didnt like? I can buy two drum for the price of one 7ft Kuhn.. thanks Lou

Disc mowers, like sicklebars, cut and drop the hay flat without windrowing it. Drum mowers will windrow the cuttings to some extent. You may have to run your rake or tedder over these drum mower windrows to get the hay to dry the way you want it. That might mean an extra pass over the field compared to the disc mower. Check the drum mower videos on YouTube.

Drum mowers are simpler in design (fewer moving parts) than disc mowers so maintenance generally is less expensive with drums.

/ Drum vs Disc cutter?.... Lou
Yes Sir,, I have watched the videos on drum cutters,, the windrow doesn't bother me,, I raise Jiggs hay,, jiggs is a hyper of Bermuda that I fertilize after each cutting,, liquid,, somewhat like Tifton 85 but it like sandy soil vs clay soil.. it gets so thick that you can't walk thru it when it get about 3 ft tall.. lots of runners,, I also live on the gulf coast with 60% humidity most of the time.. so I have to tedder anyway weather I lay it over or layer it up.. thanks guys for the information.. Lou

/ Drum vs Disc cutter?.... Lou #15  
In the past, I have had experiences with Chinese and Turkish made equipment. Not good at all. Stick with Italian, New Zealand or USA mowers. Ken Sweet

/ Drum vs Disc cutter?.... Lou #16  
In the past, I have had experiences with Chinese and Turkish made equipment. Not good at all. Stick with Italian, New Zealand or USA mowers. Ken Sweet

In machinery field in general and farm machinery in particular in last century, Swedish and Danish manufacturers have been first makers in many machines. Italians have copied their machines for decades. Then, Turkey has copied them. Then, in last 2 decades, China has been dominating almost all machinery fields including farm machinery. Being an experienced one in global industry by working with some world top companies, I know that even many of famous machine brands are actually made completely (marked with a different manufacturer name who ordered) or partially made in China. So, machines, in this case, mowers you already are selling maybe partially China made already. In Europe and USA, manufacturing industry in such low added value items like farm machines is an assembling industry only. However, if a, say, US company putting their labels on the machines with their labels (whether it is made in China or Turkey or Italy or wherever), it means US company, according to US market, is doing quality control works where their ordered products are manufactured. Even in high value added products are being made completely or partially particularly in China todays when it is mass or seriel production. Turkey manufacturers can get a share of only smaller order volumes only comparing with China. Italians almost stopped manufacturing themselves, they are, like Westerns, having manufacturers in China to make products for themselves with Italian labels. Even Turkey companies doing similar things, manufacturing in China actually.

/ Drum vs Disc cutter?.... Lou #17  
Disc mowers, like sicklebars, cut and drop the hay flat without windrowing it. Drum mowers will windrow the cuttings to some extent. You may have to run your rake or tedder over these drum mower windrows to get the hay to dry the way you want it. That might mean an extra pass over the field compared to the disc mower. Check the drum mower videos on YouTube.

Drum mowers are simpler in design (fewer moving parts) than disc mowers so maintenance generally is less expensive with drums.

Thats one of the issues using him, no tedder and that small cutter takes for ever. I have my own equipment he just does a ranch,i do some work for so I dont have to drag my equipment over or should I say I only do my own hay:D. But from what I see of his cutter it cuts fine,the blades were simple to replace and it hasnt had any issue with it. Heck I only paid 4grand more for mine but sure is nice,what I can cover over what he does...

View attachment 290653
This is what I use now.. but it is getting old and needs to be retired,, so it can live out it days on the fence line and watch the little drum cutter mow..lol..I pick it up next week if I can get away for a day.. Lou

/ Drum vs Disc cutter?.... Lou #19  
View attachment 290653
This is what I use now.. but it is getting old and needs to be retired,, so it can live out it days on the fence line and watch the little drum cutter mow..lol..I pick it up next week if I can get away for a day.. Lou

That Caddy is nice,this is the one I use vicon cutters.JPG

kuhn??,, Those disc cutters are nice but darn they are proud of them.. I said earlier I can buy two drums for the price of one 7ft Kuhn.. I thinking a back up or one for parts..lol.. Lou