Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    kubota M7040 &m7040

Default Re: Drum vs Disc cutter?.... Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lou66 View Post
    kuhn??,, Those disc cutters are nice but darn they are proud of them.. I said earlier I can buy two drums for the price of one 7ft Kuhn.. I thinking a back up or one for parts..lol.. Lou
    Vicon cm2400(8ft),3 blade system allows to pull larger cutter with less HP tractor...

Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

Kuhn, Vicon or Krone are all good cutters and have proof there worth over the years.. now let's see what a drum cutter will be worth in ten years.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Quote Originally Posted by Lou66 View Post
    Kuhn, Vicon or Krone are all good cutters and have proof there worth over the years.. now let's see what a drum cutter will be worth in ten years.. Lou
    We see the Turkish drum mowers going for $800-900 at auction sales here locally. Machines are 2-4 yrs old and look like they should mow. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    MH744

Drum mowers have been popular here in Turkey for years particularly among fruit farmers who mow grasses between trees. Hay makers with balers nowadays usually use disc mowers. There are many modified versions of drum mowers here made by small workshops according to every fruit farmer's demand, from 1 ft (single drum) to 2 ft to sliding to head rotating etc. Modifications on drum mowers are easy too at workshops, unlike disc mowers. This is another advantage of drum mowers. However, if you are in hay business, drum mower is not recommended.

Tractor
    Ford 8N

Quote Originally Posted by flusher View Post
    Disc mowers, like sicklebars, cut and drop the hay flat without windrowing it.
    I guess I'm not clear on what a drum mower is, but the disc mower I've been using (a Deutz-Allis, can't recall the model, maybe SM55) lays the hay in semi-windrows. Its two inner discs spin clockwise and the three outer discs spin counterclockwise, so it ends up laying a decent amount of the hay in a row between the paths of 2nd and 3rd discs. They're not heavy enough that I'd try baling without raking first, but it does make it easy to line up when raking.

Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

Sooner they are like to large disc about 3 foot across with 3 to 4 blades attached,, one moves counter the other clockwise,, which throw the hay between the two large disc or drums.. instead of having 6 or 8 disc rotating you have two large drums rotating.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5203, John Deere 5083e

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerLS View Post
    I guess I'm not clear on what a drum mower is, but the disc mower I've been using (a Deutz-Allis, can't recall the model, maybe SM55) lays the hay in semi-windrows. Its two inner discs spin clockwise and the three outer discs spin counterclockwise, so it ends up laying a decent amount of the hay in a row between the paths of 2nd and 3rd discs. They're not heavy enough that I'd try baling without raking first, but it does make it easy to line up when raking.
    I have a 165 CCM drum mower, 65" cut, and it is amazing to work with, very easy to use but they are very heavy. The nice thing is that there are only 6 blades so that means a lot less than on he disk mower. I highly recommend the drum mower, don't know about any other manufactures but mine is one of the best things I have.

Veteran Member
    Approved Advertiser
    Tractor
    JD 2040,2240, 2355, 2755, 4055

Quote Originally Posted by Jd5203 View Post
    I have a 165 CCM drum mower, 65" cut, and it is amazing to work with, very easy to use but they are very heavy. The nice thing is that there are only 6 blades so that means a lot less than on he disk mower. I highly recommend the drum mower, don't know about any other manufactures but mine is one of the best things I have.
    The drum mower you have is made by Turkay Tarim, the largest manufacture of drum mowers in the world. The CCM marketing lable is fading but the same mower is currently marketed in the USA under HayMAG, & Minos. Turkay Tarim sells more drum mowers in the USA than all the rest of the manufacturers combined. The SFI mowers are not manufactured by Turkay Tarim.
    Drum mowers have their place and disc mowers have their place. The first company in drum mowers was PZ. Then came Deutz Farr. Most drum mowers 75" and below are copies of the PZ system. Since 1987 PZ has been purchased and sold. The PZ name and original products are owned by Kuhn. The current Kuhn 170 drum mower is basically the same mower as your CCM 165. The Kuhn is not manufactured & marketed in an efficent way. The same technology and quality as the Kuhn is available for $$$ thousands less.

Tractor
    Many

I still think the PZ drum mowers with conditioners were the most trouble free mowers we've had and cut as good as any other system .

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

I know nothing about mowers but saw this one.
    Zetor Drum Mowers ZTR165/185 - ZETOR NORTH AMERICA

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast