How much do I rent my land for?

/ How much do I rent my land for? #1  

riverjack

Tractor
I'd like to rent my land for Hay production and I do not know the fair price.
I have 90 acres of rolling hills. Has been well kept and mowed 3 times a year.
Does anyone have an idea of what I should ask?
Rock Hill, SC

/ How much do I rent my land for? #2  
Welcome to the forum. I would go by the bale. A square $0.25 rounds $5 a bale. That is a large cunk of land. Lots of hay should come off of it. Did you consider a contract for x nunber of years at a certian rate.

/ How much do I rent my land for? #3  
I would charge enough to cover your expenses on ferterlizer and lime depletion. If you do that, there is not going to be much profit left for your pocket. Ken Sweet

/ How much do I rent my land for? #4  
I would charge enough to cover your expenses on ferterlizer and lime depletion. If you do that, there is not going to be much profit left for your pocket. Ken Sweet

Ken - this question is for the OP and me.....I am currently letting a neighbor cut my pastures 22 Acres..for hay just so I don't have to bush hog 3 times a year...He has mentioned he is going to fertilize...so based on what you are saying above..am I OK with my deal...he gets the hay for free in return for cutting it and keeping the property bush hogged where hay is not cut and fertilizing...? Thanks

/ How much do I rent my land for? #5  
Ken - this question is for the OP and me.....I am currently letting a neighbor cut my pastures 22 Acres..for hay just so I don't have to bush hog 3 times a year...He has mentioned he is going to fertilize...so based on what you are saying above..am I OK with my deal...he gets the hay for free in return for cutting it and keeping the property bush hogged where hay is not cut and fertilizing...? Thanks

As high as fuel and fertilizer is, That seems like a fair deal for both of you. Ken Sweet

/ How much do I rent my land for? #6  
My father in law and I considered renting 90 acres out for haying or haying it ourselves. After speaking with surrounding farmers we determined there just wasn't any money to be made. The only people doing hay are using it for their own feed. There are big round bales all over the place just rotting.

/ How much do I rent my land for? #9  
Every tract of land is unique and topography is only one factor. What kind of grass or forage is on the field? The above responses may be correct for native grasses without a lot of protein content.

But, if it is alfalfa or other good forage grasses you need more information. I recommend you contact your county cooperative extension agent:
Locate your County Office : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

and educate yourself as to what you have and what its potential is. That is what they get paid to do. They also probably have ag economics consultants that can help you decide whether to spend money on soil improvement.

As to talking to your neighbors, I would bear in mind some of their answers may be skewed by the fact that the neighbor wants to use your land. The county cooperative extension agent is more likely to be objective.