Tractor

Default How much do I rent my land for?

I'd like to rent my land for Hay production and I do not know the fair price.
    I have 90 acres of rolling hills. Has been well kept and mowed 3 times a year.
    Does anyone have an idea of what I should ask?
    Rock Hill, SC

Tractor
    MASSEY 1020, CASE SC, FARMALL F12 and F20

Welcome to the forum. I would go by the bale. A square $0.25 rounds $5 a bale. That is a large cunk of land. Lots of hay should come off of it. Did you consider a contract for x nunber of years at a certian rate.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

2013 TRACTOR CRUISE VIDEO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSNh8qmaus

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Default Re: How much do I rent my land for?

I would charge enough to cover your expenses on ferterlizer and lime depletion. If you do that, there is not going to be much profit left for your pocket. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by sweettractors View Post
    I would charge enough to cover your expenses on ferterlizer and lime depletion. If you do that, there is not going to be much profit left for your pocket. Ken Sweet
    Ken - this question is for the OP and me.....I am currently letting a neighbor cut my pastures 22 Acres..for hay just so I don't have to bush hog 3 times a year...He has mentioned he is going to fertilize...so based on what you are saying above..am I OK with my deal...he gets the hay for free in return for cutting it and keeping the property bush hogged where hay is not cut and fertilizing...? Thanks
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    Ken - this question is for the OP and me.....I am currently letting a neighbor cut my pastures 22 Acres..for hay just so I don't have to bush hog 3 times a year...He has mentioned he is going to fertilize...so based on what you are saying above..am I OK with my deal...he gets the hay for free in return for cutting it and keeping the property bush hogged where hay is not cut and fertilizing...? Thanks

As high as fuel and fertilizer is, That seems like a fair deal for both of you. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

My father in law and I considered renting 90 acres out for haying or haying it ourselves. After speaking with surrounding farmers we determined there just wasn't any money to be made. The only people doing hay are using it for their own feed. There are big round bales all over the place just rotting.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by sweettractors View Post
    As high as fuel and fertilizer is, That seems like a fair deal for both of you. Ken Sweet
    Thanks Ken.....I feel much better now....
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Administrator
    Tractor
    None

Welcome to TBN

I moved your thread to the Haying forum.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

Every tract of land is unique and topography is only one factor. What kind of grass or forage is on the field? The above responses may be correct for native grasses without a lot of protein content.

But, if it is alfalfa or other good forage grasses you need more information. I recommend you contact your county cooperative extension agent:
    Locate your County Office : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

and educate yourself as to what you have and what its potential is. That is what they get paid to do. They also probably have ag economics consultants that can help you decide whether to spend money on soil improvement.

As to talking to your neighbors, I would bear in mind some of their answers may be skewed by the fact that the neighbor wants to use your land. The county cooperative extension agent is more likely to be objective.