Even before haying - simple plow question.

/ Even before haying - simple plow question. #1  

wetstuff

Silver Member
Tractor
J-D 1070, Furgeson F-40
It has been 50+yrs since I pulled a 3 bottom (..not sure 3) in central Wisconsin with a JD-B, so I have forgotten 10X as I ever knew. I have a 40hp JD and a two bottom, mouldboard plow with cutting disks ahead of the mouldboards. I have a pasture that has not been touched beyond bushoging weeds for about 15 years.

The pasture is about 5ac and just full of honeysuckle vine, maple saplings, etc. I would simply like to turn it this Winter and with any luck kill off the crapus that is currently growing. I have two other pieces of 'equipment' that can be towed: a long, round gizmo that looks like heads of dull axes and one that looks like two pie pans pressed together, then joined in a row. Both appear to be about 6-8' wide. There is a basket atop each to hold weight. ..no discs.

So.. what can I do with this? Thanks.

Jim

/ Even before haying - simple plow question. #2  
I too pulled bottom plows 50+ years ago, with a Ferguson 40 by chance.

I would mow the pasture as close to the ground as I could and, if the cuttings are heavy, mow them again until they were no more than short stems. If the soil is dry or hard, wait for a rain; three or four days after the rain plow with the bottom plow. Depending on the soil, it will probably produce a fairly rough surface. The object, as I am sure you will remember, is to adjust the plow and speed to completely bury the trash and roots, and to have the turned soil in each furrow lie smoothly along the adjoining one.

Best to harrow it to break up the clods, but if you don't have a harrow a few trips with the sheep's foot roller (if that's what it is) or cultipacker should make it smooth.

Send some pictures.

/ Even before haying - simple plow question.
Thanks FF.. I found them..

GR%20BRILLION%20CROW%20FOOT.JPG

cultipacker.jpg

a Crow's Foot packer ..and a Cultipacker, like you said. It looks like the top one will help brake the

I'll pull some pic of the pasture. 'Appreciate the reply.

Jim

/ Even before haying - simple plow question. #4  
if you want to kill the pasture off, then the cheapest way is to buy some generic Round Up. Next spring after it has greened up and the temps have warmed up, spray it. In a week you will be ready to replant it with what mixture you would like...

/ Even before haying - simple plow question.
Well ..the plow did not work out so well.

plow1.JPG

I am not sure if the cutting disk in front of the mouldboard was not close enough but I would go 20' and get massive globs of vegetation jammed in the front of the outside mouldboard.

plow2.JPG

plow3.JPG

I also could not get a feel for how deep ..too deep and I would spin (turf tires - 4WD) or maybe the fore/aft tilt of the plow had an effect.

disks.jpg

So, this morning a fellow posted these on Craigslist. I will use them next weekend. Should I put a pretty heavy load on concrete on them? Most everyone around here uses disks. I have never seen a traditional plow used - maybe because they do it multiple times a year...??

Jim

/ Even before haying - simple plow question. #6  
If you are wanting hay, rent a no-til drill and drill in some good grass seed. Come spring when the weeds get started spray with Grazon and in the fall spray again and you will have a good field weed free full of grass. May need a soil test to see if need any lime. Also may need to spray for grub worms as they may have killed your grass out to start with.

/ Even before haying - simple plow question. #7  
Would Grazon kill the Bermuda (Johnson) grass? Here in E. WA. that is considered a weed and gets in the middle of the Orchard grass. Hard to get rid of that stringy Bermuda stuff. bjr

/ Even before haying - simple plow question. #8  
Well ..the plow did not work out so well.

its fairly clear from the pics of the aftermath that you didnt have the plow setup well. Search the forums, i have described how to set up a 2 bottom a couple of times.

You could also remove the wire baskets from infront of the mold boards. They are designed to catch the sod and keep it from flipping twice if your plowing 2 fast (like more than 5mph) from the looks of it, you werent moving fast enough to flip the dirt, ideal speed is 3-4 mph. my TC33 would do 3mph at high idle full hydro pedal in low range. I need 4wd and diff lock to pull my 2x14 dearborn in IL dirt. (clay)

measure the distance between the bars of the plow to determine the size (12" apart, 12" plow... 14" apart and so on)

results should look like
DSC02806%20(Large).JPG

see Plowing the garden - YouTube

/ Even before haying - simple plow question. #9  
Round up is a non-selective herbicide, it will kill Bermuda and Johnson Grass. Just make sure you don't let the Johnson Grass get to tall, or you may have spot spray some of it.... Round up is available generically and is cheap... I think you will be disappointed with the disc you bought. There is no way to change the angles to make it "bite" better. It looks like it will just cut a straight line. Looks like it would work decent if the field had been Mouldboarded first....

/ Even before haying - simple plow question. #10  
Those disks do have an angle adjustment. That lever and stops left of center between the two disk sets should allow someone to adjust the angle of the middle.

I wonder if 2,4D weed killer is a better solution. We had blackberries, bitterweed and other stuff on our property. Two sprayings one year and a follow up every so many years has the noxious weeds under control. No till to place good seed should work.

If that is the property does it get enough sun or does the pine plantation shade it too much?