New Holland 269 Baler

/ New Holland 269 Baler #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I'm only needing to bale maybe 1-1/2 acres of grass hay for horse feed. I have a chance to pick up the NH 269 twine baler for scrap price. The knotters were removed (the guy still has them) and would have be put back on. It was a working machine when parked. I'm a "Okay mechanic", I mean I got construction machinery experience. Is this a machine that could be made to work again and would knotter parts be available? I might bale 100-150 bales a year. Any input on this machine is appreciated. Thanks bjr

/ New Holland 269 Baler #2  
Knotter parts are READILY available as they are used on current production balers. An operator's manual (probably $20 or so in hard copy or pdf download) will tell you everything you need to know about knotter setup. Providing, of course you can read and follow detailed instruction and recognize the individual parts. Parts catalogs are available online in the public domain.

/ New Holland 269 Baler #3  
I'm only needing to bale maybe 1-1/2 acres of grass hay for horse feed. I have a chance to pick up the NH 269 twine baler for scrap price. The knotters were removed (the guy still has them) and would have be put back on. It was a working machine when parked. I'm a "Okay mechanic", I mean I got construction machinery experience. Is this a machine that could be made to work again and would knotter parts be available? I might bale 100-150 bales a year. Any input on this machine is appreciated. Thanks bjr

Good balers when they are running. Ken Sweet

/ New Holland 269 Baler #4  
I have a NH 269 that i picked up super cheap for only 400 bucks w/ a kicker, i do only about 10 ac. I'm not mechanically inclined at all, i got lucky sat in barn for 2 years, I baled 1600 bales with it this summer not a single problem. So far so good for me, i would say if it's a good price then go for it. My understanding once you go them timed properly and learn how to run them they work like a champ, i just take it easy with mine and don't try to run it hard. Good luck

/ New Holland 269 Baler #5  

Sounds like a deal. Yes get the service manual and they have a knotter group book too, get both. I have gone through a lot of knotters over my 40 some years. They are not hard, well, since i have done it. Follow the book, spread it all out in order, polish everything the slides, moves or rubs. Replace ALL the zerks!. Assemble with marine grease, will last longer. PM me if you need help. Local NH dealer has called a few times with problems, ya gotta love it. Show a NH desk jockey how to fix it or improve it!!

/ New Holland 269 Baler #6  
Were still running a 67 we had given to us. 1500+ bales per year. I did a lot of work to it this year, new feed tines, new pickup fingers, few new pickup guards, new plunger bearings, sharpened knives, cost me almost $500. LOL Can't even make 1 payment on a new one for that. All my parts were readily available at the local NH dealer and most were in stock. They used a lot of those parts for a lot of years, some still today. The most amazing thing to me is if you take any 1 piece they are simple machines, just a lot of simple pieces working together.