Pecks vs bushels

/ Pecks vs bushels #1  

donais

Gold Member
Tractor
mf 1547
I'm planting my oat hay and realized that I was putting WAY more seed than I planned on like 185 lbs per acre. I had it set at 12 pecks and that is where it went through the 185 lbs. so I moved it back to 8 peck and will try that. What do any of you oat hayers have to say? Oat is supposed to be 32 lbs per bushel... Thanks, Jon

/ Pecks vs bushels #2  
You should be good - 4 pecks to 1 bushel.
Hope it does well.

/ Pecks vs bushels #3  
I have grown fairly big acreages of oaten hay in Australia, and small acreages here in Portugal. I aim for 120 to 140 pounds per acre. I just did a bit of Googling on US sites because I thought your bushel weight was low. I note that 32lbs appears to be a US "standard". At the same time I saw quite a few references from current growers with bushel weights well in excess of 40 pounds, which is what I would expect, and at 40 pounds/bushel your 12 pecks should have given you 120lbs/acre. If it sowed 185 at that setting, then as Reyer Farms said "You should be good" at 8 pecks to give you 120lbs.

A bushel actually varies in size in different countries, but not by much and one and a quarter cubic feet is very close to the ones I know of. An Imperial bushel is 1.28 cu ft and the Winchester one is 1.24 (I think that is the measurement used in US, but not sure). There is another called the Avery, and perhaps more. If you want to check your bushel weight, make a box 12"x12" and 15" deep. That gives you the 1.25 cu ft which is close enough to the bushels I know of.

To complicate things still further for the farmer, the British grain industry still talks about bushel weights, yet measures the grain in kilograms per hectolitre, and a hectolitre is a great deal bigger than a bushel.

/ Pecks vs bushels
so to add to the equation even more i changed to 4 way oat wheat barley rye mix, they were out of it when i got the first pallet but at 2 bucks more a bag i went with it. so looking at wheat the bushel weight is listed at 60 lbs... i'm gonna keep it at the current setting and see what comes up.. thanks for the help.

/ Pecks vs bushels #5  
I was never keen on awned grains like barley, rye and some wheats for hay. The awns can be very hard and "spikey" after drying.

/ Pecks vs bushels
i know the barley is a "beardless" type and i think the wheat is also but i could be wrong. prettimuch everyone out here either plants kanota / montezuma -oats or 4 way.. all dryland farming. i even have some little shoots coming up. have the rest to plant friday and saturday.

/ Pecks vs bushels #7  
Not to get off subject to far... How do you like the Massey 15xx ? Is that your hay tractor?

/ Pecks vs bushels
its my everything tractor!! i also last year got a allis chalmers d17ser.3 diesel. i made an 8 foot 3pt disc harrow, works the massey pretty hard. i made a 3pt to draw bar adapter and pull it with allis like its not even there. i have a jd 214t baler massey pulls it quite well. i have the hst trans in it and i can go any speed i want to....but over all i love the mf1547. been a real good tractor i am very surprised that i haven't killed it. the d17 is a way better "farm" tractor though.

/ Pecks vs bushels #9  
donais said:
its my everything tractor!! i also last year got a allis chalmers d17ser.3 diesel. i made an 8 foot 3pt disc harrow, works the massey pretty hard. i made a 3pt to draw bar adapter and pull it with allis like its not even there. i have a jd 214t baler massey pulls it quite well. i have the hst trans in it and i can go any speed i want to....but over all i love the mf1547. been a real good tractor i am very surprised that i haven't killed it. the d17 is a way better "farm" tractor though.

That's awesome, glad to hear it is working out for you. I have always liked the Massey's, spent a lot of time at the dealership when I was a youngin. Daddy had a friend that was a dealer, and it was the closest thing I ever saw to a daycare. I would love to see that red rocket working that bailer and see your custom disc.