Just Bought NH 255 Rake/Tedder

/ Just Bought NH 255 Rake/Tedder #1  

whitmerlegacyfarm

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kioti DK50SE HST w/ 401 Loader
Anyone have one of these rakes, just look for some Pro's and Con's for them. I only paid 550 for it and it's in full working order. I will be picking this up next weekend. I'm haying about 12 ac. of grass hay of my own but at times i do go to the neighbors and do a 2nd cut on his 20ac. I'm fairly certain i got a great deal on this, little searching on inet and cheapest one i found was like $1900.

Thanks all any info greatly appreciated

/ Just Bought NH 255 Rake/Tedder #2  
Ya, I have one, LOVE IT!!!! Sounds like you got a deal for sure. If you have any questions, let me know, be glad to help. That thing has saved my bacon more than one time. Best thing NH has made in years.

/ Just Bought NH 255 Rake/Tedder
Sounds like there a lot of guys out there that don't seem to like them for some reason. But i know a farmer at the road that has 2 of them, one always set up to rake and the other to ted and they have been using them for years. My concern is my ground is real flat, somewhat hilly and rough at spots, i guess just take it easy and go slow right? I can't wait to get it home and check it out.

/ Just Bought NH 255 Rake/Tedder #4  
Sounds like there a lot of guys out there that don't seem to like them for some reason. But i know a farmer at the road that has 2 of them, one always set up to rake and the other to ted and they have been using them for years. My concern is my ground is real flat, somewhat hilly and rough at spots, i guess just take it easy and go slow right? I can't wait to get it home and check it out.

My ground is rolling with some tricky areas. The only thing to really worry about is the little ditches you will go over in the field. Don't want to drop a wheel off at a high speed. Tends to ruin tires/tubes.

Get the manual. I am a firm believer on the books. It will help resale if you sell it.

there are 2 tedding settings on this model. One is gentle, cam driven(alfalfa) and the other is agressive (wet red clover or grass). the raking motion is cam driven,(gentle too). I will help you gt it all figured out. I run about 6 mph ground speed for most all of the motions. There are little tricks you can use, more later, as you have the thing home to look at.

Got the nh 255 home today, got it hooked up to my kioti DK50 rite now. I may take a better look at it tomorrow, i banged my thumb up today unloading a rolabar rake so was feelin up to messing around with it. Redy to use it haha

/ Just Bought NH 255 Rake/Tedder #6  
Sounds like there a lot of guys out there that don't seem to like them for some reason......

Most of the haters had the 245 models which left bad tastes in mouth for many. The 255 model is slightly improved and slightly more durable over the 245. Regardless you purchase price was a steal for either model. Doubt you will ever have problems on the few acres you are haying and suspect it will be a fine unit for your limited acres. I imagine that you will like it very much

Probably not the best unit though for any BTO as dual purpose units are almost always a compromise. Perfect for small time operators but less the perfect for big time operators (aka BTO).

/ Just Bought NH 255 Rake/Tedder #7  
Did you get a chance to look at your 255 yet?

Yep i looked it over, not exactly sure how to use it yet but its to cold n snowy to tinker with it. I was at a sale today n a nh254 only brought $375 i was tempted to try n get it.

/ Just Bought NH 255 Rake/Tedder #9  
Yeah We should have got it, especially now the more I think about it.

Check out the prices on some of the main components or Messick's Website for parts lol. Could get costly, who's know could of been field ready. Oh well, I will find out how good mine works this year and then will know.