Round baler advise

/ Round baler advise #11  
Jerry,
In my experience it has just as much to do with the density of the windrow, length of the material and the type of baler as it does ground speed. I've rolled some hay you can creep through and never get a tight bale. Other times I've been able to run through at 10 mph and make a perfect bale every time.

/ Round baler advise
Jerry,
Could it be that your custom operator has a crop cutter on his baler? This cuts the hay in shorter pieces, supposedly making better feed. It also makes the bales fall apart easier.

/ Round baler advise #13  
Jerry,
In my experience it has just as much to do with the density of the windrow, length of the material and the type of baler as it does ground speed. I've rolled some hay you can creep through and never get a tight bale. Other times I've been able to run through at 10 mph and make a perfect bale every time.

It's the same guy in the same field, with the same equipment. All his hay equipment is three years old and he maintains everything well. I can't understand how he did it right the first two years and screwed it up this year! I think he was selling his wheat on the phone while he was baling and lost his concentration. This guy is no rookie either.

As I fed today,I unwrapped the bale and the hay immediately started to fall off. I fed some and then lost about a third of the bale (400 + pounds) on my way back to parking the tractor. I'll have to pitch it in the p/u and feed it out tomorrow. Heck i might as well put the bale on a wagon and pitch it out by hand!

/ Round baler advise #14  
Jerry,
Could it be that your custom operator has a crop cutter on his baler? This cuts the hay in shorter pieces, supposedly making better feed. It also makes the bales fall apart easier.

No it's not that. He doesn't have a crop cutter.The hay is nice orchard grass that's about three and a half to four feet long as it spills all over the place. Darn nice hay but I waste so much!

/ Round baler advise #15  
It's the same guy in the same field, with the same equipment. All his hay equipment is three years old and he maintains everything well.

Jerry
Will you please reveal the brand(color) of baler???

/ Round baler advise
Jerry,
I do know that moisture at baling time will make a difference in how well a bale hold together, at least it's that way for small squares. When it's too dry, the bale will just fall apart after the twine is cut.

/ Round baler advise #17  
Jerry,
I do know that moisture at baling time will make a difference in how well a bale hold together, at least it's that way for small squares. When it's too dry, the bale will just fall apart after the twine is cut.

That's OK; they put the twine there to hold it together.

/ Round baler advise
Very funny.

/ Round baler advise #20  
Jerry
Loose bales on a JD 567 baler could be a blown o-ring in one of the tension cylinders or the tension valve. Also it could be that operator does not have hyd pressure on tension valve(parts key 19) adjusted high enough to make a firm bale.

Attachments

• EP10077________UN24SEP99.gif
    EP10077________UN24SEP99.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 122