Hay theft on the rise

/ Hay theft on the rise #2  
We had people steal a few square bales About 10 of them. Locking the hay barn put a end to that. And its hard to hide tracks in the fresh snow. If they come back the game camera will be there to catch them in the act. Around here you can't hide everyone knows everyone.

/ Hay theft on the rise #3  
That is crazy. All my hay is between the fence and the road. We just don't have that problem here I guess.

I've heard of little pricks setting hay on fire on Halloween before. But never stealing it.

Either one could be devastating to most farmers though.

/ Hay theft on the rise #4  
I was talking to a dairy goat farmer near me and he said some guys are getting 12 cents a pound for good quality hay... Even first cut outdoor stored bales $70-80 for 4x5's... I imagine a bale or two will disappear around here as well from remote spots and I'm glad my stack isn't visible from the road!

/ Hay theft on the rise #5  
I'd say the farmer got off lucky in that they didn't steal the frontloader also!
But it happened on Labor Day and they are just reporting it now?

/ Hay theft on the rise #6  
DT86 said:
I've heard of little pricks setting hay on fire on Halloween before. But never stealing it.

Either one could be devastating to most farmers though.

A few years back we has some idiots light a 100 year old barn on fire. All 1000+ bales a old steel wheel tractor, haying equiptment destroyed. It was quite a sight to see. Sends shivers down your spine.

/ Hay theft on the rise
Sometimes it takes time for stories to filter through the news cycle. I don't bale hay on my small place, it would really be a fair amount of labor given the layout and "treeness" of my place, but if the economics start to change then perhaps the small scale hayer (is that a word?) might stand to make a few bucks.

/ Hay theft on the rise #8  
I suppose all that hay in a desolate spot with a loader parked right beside it was too much temptation for the theives. NO LOADER, less likelyhood of bales disappearing. Sometimes convenience for the owner is always convenience for the thief.

/ Hay theft on the rise #9  
We live on the central coast of CA. A lot of small 5 acres "mini ranches" -- people with a horse or two at home. I ran across someone at the grocery store this morning that has a couple horses. He had a half dozen square bales (80 lbs each) of alfalfa in the back of his pickup. I was curious what hay/alfalfa was going for.....(drum roll)....$20 a bale at the local feed store! When he can get it. Wow! No wonder thieves are stealing hay bales!

/ Hay theft on the rise #10  
yikes.

here, farmers leave full Gn's full of hay roadsdie witht heir tel number on a carb on the side of the hay to call them...