disc mower advice

/ disc mower advice #1  

tjk2

Tractor
kubota mx5000, john deere LA
Hi everyone im new to the forum and I am in need of some advice. I have a kubota mx5000 (about 50hp) with a New Holland 477 mower conditioner that I cut about 15 acres of hay with. It works but takes forever because I have to go 1st low the whole time or else it will plug. I am planning on getting another 15-20 acres this year. Does anyone know how big of a disc mower my tractor would handle? Thanks in advance for any help.

/ disc mower advice #2  
I'd say less than 6'.

/ disc mower advice
Is that with rollers?

/ disc mower advice #4  
My father in law ran a D17 Series IV Allis Chalmers and a 6' disc mower all day long. I believe the D17 was about 53 PTO (belt) hp. The only issue he had was the weight of the disc mower would make the front end light.

/ disc mower advice
I've got some weights for my tractor.

/ disc mower advice #6  
I help a friend who cuts hay with a 5040 Allis and a 6.5 ft drum mower. That tractor is 40 pto hp and about the same weight as yours. It handles it well and I've been told that drum mowers eat more power than a true disc mower. I think a 6 ft disc mower would work pretty well.

/ disc mower advice
Do you think i could run a 9 foot or would that be to big?

/ disc mower advice #8  
Do you think i could run a 9 foot or would that be to big?

A 9' disc mower is way too heavy during transport. It will also rip the guts out of your tractor. I've got a M9540 and a trailed 9' disc mower is all it wants.

/ disc mower advice #9  
I used a vicon 7'11(cm2400) with my kubota 5040(46pto) no problem.

/ disc mower advice
Ok thanks for the info.