I will never use poly twine again

/ I will never use poly twine again #21  
Poly twine doesn't go away.

Part of our place strip mined and back-filled nicely.
The lime fertilizer & seeding contractor blew chopped hay as mulch. They cut and threw the twine over the side of the chopper as they fed the bales into the machine.

That was 25 years ago in 1988 -- That orange plastic baler twine IS STILL THERE.

What do you expect ..you have to pick it up and burn it ?

/ I will never use poly twine again #22  
The poly twine I started using last year is green and from what I was told is biodegradable and will rott away after 2 yrs.

/ I will never use poly twine again #23  
What do you expect ..you have to pick it up and burn it ?

Congratulations, you have achieved puerile relevance -- a high post count.

/ I will never use poly twine again #24  
RickB, Not sure if your reply had a humorus tone, but I'll take it take it that way. A fast or neat and clean method of feeding has never been my concern. I use daily feedings as a way to inspect each animal I own. If I need to get out of the cab a dozen or a hundred times be do a complete and through job I will. I agree with Bulldog "Whats best for the animal is the bottom line." I prefer net wrap, it provides a better feed and there is less likelyhood of me missing a piece or two. For what its worth I'm feeding sisal and plastic tied bales now, I got a good buy on them. The string and the net wrap will all end up in the dumpster at the end of the season. Its just my opinion, on your place, with your cows or horses you can do whatever you want if it works for you.

I agree. My point was that obviously not all posting here have the same values.

/ I will never use poly twine again #26  
Round balers sure have made for some lazy farmers these days.

We do both square and round, sisal twine for square and poly for round. We also store 95% of our hay indoors, so I guess the twine type doesn't really matter in that regard. I'm amazed that people would just dump a bale in the feeder with the twine on it, even if it is sisal. Sisal twine is coated with preservatives and I can't imagine that is good for cows, much less getting tangled in it, etc.

When I go to feed a bale, I pick it up, cut the strings off it right at the barn then haul it out to the field. With good tight bales almost no hay falls off when the strings are cut. If you happen to have a bale where the 'seam' is on the bottom, I just fold it back over the top. This way I don't tangle strings around my axles, don't have to get out in the mud (which we don't let happen anyways), and once in the field I can just set the bale down and put the bale ring over it. No messing with strings while the cows are pushing at the bale.

/ I will never use poly twine again #27  
if it wasn't for that orange twine, half my horse tack would't stay on and half my gates wouldn't have hinges.. :) :) ;)

/ I will never use poly twine again #28  
if it wasn't for that orange twine, half my horse tack would't stay on and half my gates wouldn't have hinges.. :) :) ;)

The orange twine off the big square bales is the good stuff, about 1/4" thick and in nice long pieces.

/ I will never use poly twine again #29  
orange bailing wire.. :)

/ I will never use poly twine again #30  
Poly twine doesn't go away.

Part of our place strip mined and back-filled nicely.
The lime fertilizer & seeding contractor blew chopped hay as mulch. They cut and threw the twine over the side of the chopper as they fed the bales into the machine.

That was 25 years ago in 1988 -- That orange plastic baler twine IS STILL THERE.

This is exactly my problem with that stuff. I always cut it and pull it all off. I then collect it up and burn it. Unfortunately, I am not the only one who feeds and the landowner just drops the rolls and leaves. That plastic crap is everywhere out here! He has been doing that for years. The stuff never goes away. It gets wound up in equipment and wrecks seals. I hate the stuff!