Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 5105M & IH Farmall 544

Default I will never use poly twine again

Last summer I tried using poly twine on my large round bales. I had always used sisel twine and for some unknown reason I tried the poly twine. NEVER AGAIN!!!! I have found that the poly twine is a pain in the #%% to get off of a rain snow frozen bale. The other problem I had was the end of the string would come loose and get under the front tractor tire and if you didn't stop and cut it off it would unwrap the whole bale. Plus, I spent ten minutes unwrapping the string that had gotten wrapped around my front axle.

On top of everything else, I'm lazy!! I hate having to crawl down out of my nice warm tractor cab, wade thru mud and manure to cut off the string and then crawl back up into my nice warm cab. The worst thing is my cab is starting to smell like cow crap. With the sisel I just dropped the bale in the bale feeder and not worry about the string.

I'm done ranting. Thanks for listening.
    MWRR
    Illinois, 180 acres, 80 acres hay, cattle, JD 5105M,IH-Farmall 544, Kuhn 700 GMD HDII, Case 580B, JD 535 Baler, MF 124.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    3000 Ford 66' 260A International Backhoe

Default Re: I will never use poly twine again

Feel better now that you got that off your chest?

I don't like that stuff either and I don't even do hay! My cousin does the hay on my property and uses the poly. A few old bales were left on the edge of the field a few years ago and it seems like that poly is taking root, IT"S EVERYWHERE, I bushhog around the edge to fight back the woods and I get it wrapped up and around everything including my feet sometimes.

OK I feel better now. Thanks for the thread
    I've got a cutting torch and a welder sooo YEAH it'll fit!!

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Net wrap, same problem. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    3000 Ford 66' 260A International Backhoe

The cousin that cuts my field has never used the net wrap. He used to use the regular twine and it seems to go away after a while of laying on the ground.

I've never had any dealings with the net wrap but I bet it would be a mess to handle if it were froze over.

Where I live we don't have a lot of freezing rain and snow and its used a lot around here. More and more every year.
    I've got a cutting torch and a welder sooo YEAH it'll fit!!

Tractor
    jd 3010-4040-4320-4440

Net wrap is the way to go. 2.5 seconds to tie my bales and a way i go. love it

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

What brand baler and size of bales? 2.5 seconds is 3 times faster than my JD 467 will wrap a 5-1/2 ft tall bale with 2 wraps of net.

Tractor
    Kubota 7510, Toro Groundsmaster 217D

natural fiber vs man made- a use for both I suppose.

I don't bale (yet) but am more inclined to use natural fiber rather than have to worry about disposal, ingestion or other possible unforeseen issues.

I'll admit, net wrap does make a neater looking round bale and probably is the better choice. Personally, I would like to see net wrap and bale wrapping "plastic" engineered from soy based production. I am starting to see more availability of "urethane" type spray foam insulation that is soy based.

-Might help with disposal issues- especially if the wrapping could be made edible too! (I don't think we've made it that far yet..).
    I thank God everyday for all of the blessings he has given me- especially for the one's I do not recognize or see!

Tractor
    John Deere 5105M & IH Farmall 544

Quote Originally Posted by hightooth323 View Post
    Net wrap is the way to go. 2.5 seconds to tie my bales and a way i go. love it
    Whatever time you saved baling is more that lost when trying to feed the hay. Again, I hate wading thru mud and cow sh#% to remove the twine or net wrap and then have to climb back into my tractor cab with manure all over my boots. You can keep the poly twine and net wrap no matter how much faster it is baling.
    MWRR
    Illinois, 180 acres, 80 acres hay, cattle, JD 5105M,IH-Farmall 544, Kuhn 700 GMD HDII, Case 580B, JD 535 Baler, MF 124.

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Quote Originally Posted by MWRR View Post
    Whatever time you saved baling is more that lost when trying to feed the hay. Again, I hate wading thru mud and cow sh#% to remove the twine or net wrap and then have to climb back into my tractor cab with manure all over my boots. You can keep the poly twine and net wrap no matter how much faster it is baling.
    10-4 on that. Someone would have to pay me to use either ploy twine or net wrap. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    ASV 4810

Been using plastic twine for 25 years.
    I don't know were the problem lies by the posters ,plastic twine is easy to pull off the bale and makes a small tidy bundle one can throw in the cab versus that pesky sisal.
    The only problem i have is pull the twine off the bale when the snow on the bale melted and turned to ice later.With sisal you have the same problem and you end up with a whole barrel full of twine,ice and hay from just one bale.
    When feeding I can store 20 bales worth of poly in the tractor cab easy,..try that with sisal!
    As for wrapping around axles, both poly and sisal cause the same problem for the seals,..solution is to stop driving and get your lazy ***** out and and cut that problem piece off before it gets in the seals.

BTW,..With poly one can store a bale outside for years and still pick the bale up in one piece.
    Sisal rots trough in a couple months and the bale fals apart when you try to move it.

Netwrap is nice for the guy that bales and sells the hay but it is **** for the guy that has to take it off,espessially in winter with snow and ice on it,..for me,..never again!
    3 cockshutt 1855,1 cockshutt 1800.
    Belarus 800 and 925 .AC 940 whl ldr.Waldon 500 whl ldr.
    ASV 4810 tracksteer.
    4 GMC 2500 6.5/6.2 diesel trucks

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast