Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland 1510TL

Default Weed Wipes

Has anyone Tried a Weed Wipe behind their tractor to control weeds in hay fields? I would like to know how well they work and which brands you'd recommend. It appears that there are quite a number on the market of different designs/features. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

I've been reading up on them myself. Some seem pretty darn expensive for what seems like such a simple design. So simple in fact there are plans to build your own.

There are several studies online, here is one I read. http://jefferson.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/50645
    Last edited by DT86; 01-27-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened

Default Re: Weed Wipes

I built a 10 wide weed wiper from a kit. I supplied the 3 inch PVC pipe, mounted on the FEL. It worked well on the weeds the wiper contacted. BUT. (there's always a but) 10 feet wide is a long time to spend in a 10 acre field. Can't go very fast or the wiping action is minimized and the weeds survive. If it's built wider say... 30 feet the field has to be level like a billard table or the wiper has to accomodate the field contours.

Tractor
    New Holland 1510TL

Thanks for the reference. It answered some questions I had about rotary wipers.

Tractor
    New Holland 1510TL

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    I built a 10 wide weed wiper from a kit. I supplied the 3 inch PVC pipe, mounted on the FEL. It worked well on the weeds the wiper contacted. BUT. (there's always a but) 10 feet wide is a long time to spend in a 10 acre field. Can't go very fast or the wiping action is minimized and the weeds survive. If it's built wider say... 30 feet the field has to be level like a billard table or the wiper has to accomodate the field contours.
    I have a 42 acre field and it's not all level. In fact, it's rather hilly. Last fall I had a terrible time with Johnson grass taking over. My hayer suggested I use a weed wiper. I want to get some input before I go out and invest in one so any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210, John Deere Z820A, John Deere 345

I'm dealing with a Johnson Grass problem, too. I was asking around in my area (NE Kansas) and had several options recommended, but the weed wiper seemed the most feasible. Other options included some very expensive chemical designed to just take out Johnson Grass, and another was overgrazing heavily early in the year, but I was too late last year. This year our drought conditions may not make that feasible, as my neighbor who would have brought in the cattle to overgraze got rid of his herd. Not enough pasture, not enough hay to cut, and hardly any water in the ponds.

It's looking like the weed wiper may have to wait another year. Last years lack of moisture ended up being the problem then, as the Johnson Grass never got tall enough to use a weed wiper. And this year may be worse......
    GGB

"We have met the enemy and he is us." -Pogo/Walt Kelly

Tractor
    NH TD5050

I use a 15' in my fields. Works well. Actually wanting to sell it and get a wider one. If your terrain is very hilly/uneven, 15' is the max width I'd recommend in a fixed unit.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by tripp1023 View Post
    Actually wanting to sell it and get a wider one.
    Where are you? Anywhere close to SW VA?

Tractor
    New Holland 1510TL

Quote Originally Posted by tripp1023 View Post
    I use a 15' in my fields. Works well. Actually wanting to sell it and get a wider one. If your terrain is very hilly/uneven, 15' is the max width I'd recommend in a fixed unit.
    Is yours a fixed or rotational type weed wiper?

Tractor
    NH TD5050

Sorry for the delay. I'm in east TX. Mine is a hydraulic rotational fixed (non flex wing). It us a well built unit and I believe the rotation definitely helps with the application of chemical. It gives the targeted weeds a thorough application of chemical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast