Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member ROYCEWILLARDOKLAHOMA's Avatar
    Tractor
    MX 5100 KUBOTA 2012/

Default Re: cutting hay

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Have you ever cut with a 3pt disc mower on a caddy?? The caddy makes it so much easier to attach cutter to tractor. Another nice thing about a cutter on a caddy is one can transport them with a pickup if it's required.
    Thats awesome to be able to pull it behind a truck. What if I went with the larger drum mower, And could still get in to that with a caddy? And really make life easy on my tractor. I wonder whats the largest drum mower? Ill go check that out. If any of you see one online post me a link please.
    Willardskillard

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

The drum mowers that I've seen won't fit on a caddy. When I purchased my used Vermeer 7030/caddy I towed it 60 miles home with my 1/2 ton PU.

Tractor
    MX 5100 KUBOTA 2012/

[QUOTE=Tx Jim;3207388]The drum mowers that I've seen won't fit on a caddy. When I purchased my used Vermeer 7030/caddy I towed it 60 miles home with my 1/2 ton PU.[/QUOT

Thats odd, So the drum mowers that you seen were not a 3 point hook up? same as disc mower? or sickle mower? I thought they all were 3 point hook up? And the back of the caddy is 3 point hookup? Ill do some checking.
    Willardskillard

Tractor
    MX 5100 KUBOTA 2012/

I can get a 6.6 foot Krone straight from the factory for 9 grand. At my Kubota Dealer? Or I could buy a Vicon and get a 10 foot same price
    Willardskillard

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Yes disc & drum mowers both have 3 pt attaching points. The literature for drum mowers depicts them swinging around directly behind tractor instead of raising in the air at a 90 degree angle similar to a disk mower. I impersonally haven't seen a drum mower down here in Tx.

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Quote Originally Posted by ROYCEWILLARDOKLAHOMA View Post
    Thats awesome to be able to pull it behind a truck. What if I went with the larger drum mower, And could still get in to that with a caddy? And really make life easy on my tractor. I wonder whats the largest drum mower? Ill go check that out. If any of you see one online post me a link please.
    Kuhn makes drum mowers--PZ models that were initially developed in Europe (Holland IIRC). These mowers come in various sizes, cut really fast (4-ft wide models can reach 5-6 acres per hour depending on terrain, crop density, etc). They do tend to windrow somewhat so if you're looking for a flat cut, then a disc mower or sicklebar is what you want.

Modular design - KUHN.com [en]

300 acres? If you're mowing that much acreage, I'd look for a used self-propelled swather. My neighbor has a Hesston swather with a 13-ft wide head. He mows 10 acres in 45 minutes or so. He got it at auction for about $3K.

-dicks-swather-1-jpg

Good luck.

Tractor
    Many

Yes disc & drum mowers both have 3 pt attaching points. The literature for drum mowers depicts them swinging around directly behind tractor instead of raising in the air at a 90 degree angle similar to a disk mower. I impersonally haven't seen a drum mower down here in Tx.
    The PZ mowers we have owned swing around behind only for transport you lift then out of work using the 3PT instead of a hyd cyl raising the cutter bed on a disc mower . I've never seen a caddy but is this why they wont fit ?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    cx70,5510,4630,5005

Have you ever cut with a 3pt disc mower on a caddy?? The caddy makes it so much easier to attach cutter to tractor. Another nice thing about a cutter on a caddy is one can transport them with a pickup if it's required.
    i have never used a caddy but i have owned several pull conditioners.i would much rather use 3 pt cutters .for your kubota tractor to handle the cutter easier be sure to set the tires all the way out front and back,use front weights and rear wheel weights.makes a big difference.

Tractor
    Kubota (2010)M7040,(2012)M7040,New Holland(2004)TL100

Quote Originally Posted by ROYCEWILLARDOKLAHOMA View Post
    I can get a 6.6 foot Krone straight from the factory for 9 grand. At my Kubota Dealer? Or I could buy a Vicon and get a 10 foot same price
    I run a 8ft vicon,used a kubota 5040(on 3pt)loader on of course,I believe would be a great match on a caddy for the mx5100. The three blades req.less hp and my 46pto hp never had any trouble.

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Quote Originally Posted by flusher View Post
    cut really fast (4-ft wide models can reach 5-6 acres per hour depending on terrain, crop density, etc). They do tend to windrow somewhat so if you're looking for a flat cut, then a disc mower or sicklebar is what you want.
    Do you realize how fast a tractor would have to go to cut 5 acres per hour with a 4 ft cutter?? 12+ MPH which is way to fast for my Fireant/gopher mound infested ground but you ground is probably smoother.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast