cutting hay

/ cutting hay
Have you ever cut with a 3pt disc mower on a caddy?? The caddy makes it so much easier to attach cutter to tractor. Another nice thing about a cutter on a caddy is one can transport them with a pickup if it's required.

Thats awesome to be able to pull it behind a truck. What if I went with the larger drum mower, And could still get in to that with a caddy? And really make life easy on my tractor. I wonder whats the largest drum mower? Ill go check that out. If any of you see one online post me a link please.

/ cutting hay #12  
The drum mowers that I've seen won't fit on a caddy. When I purchased my used Vermeer 7030/caddy I towed it 60 miles home with my 1/2 ton PU.

/ cutting hay
The drum mowers that I've seen won't fit on a caddy. When I purchased my used Vermeer 7030/caddy I towed it 60 miles home with my 1/2 ton PU.[/QUOT

Thats odd, So the drum mowers that you seen were not a 3 point hook up? same as disc mower? or sickle mower? I thought they all were 3 point hook up? And the back of the caddy is 3 point hookup? Ill do some checking.

/ cutting hay
I can get a 6.6 foot Krone straight from the factory for 9 grand. At my Kubota Dealer? Or I could buy a Vicon and get a 10 foot same price

/ cutting hay #15  
Yes disc & drum mowers both have 3 pt attaching points. The literature for drum mowers depicts them swinging around directly behind tractor instead of raising in the air at a 90 degree angle similar to a disk mower. I impersonally haven't seen a drum mower down here in Tx.

/ cutting hay #16  
Thats awesome to be able to pull it behind a truck. What if I went with the larger drum mower, And could still get in to that with a caddy? And really make life easy on my tractor. I wonder whats the largest drum mower? Ill go check that out. If any of you see one online post me a link please.

Kuhn makes drum mowers--PZ models that were initially developed in Europe (Holland IIRC). These mowers come in various sizes, cut really fast (4-ft wide models can reach 5-6 acres per hour depending on terrain, crop density, etc). They do tend to windrow somewhat so if you're looking for a flat cut, then a disc mower or sicklebar is what you want.

Modular design - KUHN.com [en]

300 acres? If you're mowing that much acreage, I'd look for a used self-propelled swather. My neighbor has a Hesston swather with a 13-ft wide head. He mows 10 acres in 45 minutes or so. He got it at auction for about $3K.

Dicks swather-1.JPG

Good luck.

/ cutting hay #17  
Yes disc & drum mowers both have 3 pt attaching points. The literature for drum mowers depicts them swinging around directly behind tractor instead of raising in the air at a 90 degree angle similar to a disk mower. I impersonally haven't seen a drum mower down here in Tx.

The PZ mowers we have owned swing around behind only for transport you lift then out of work using the 3PT instead of a hyd cyl raising the cutter bed on a disc mower . I've never seen a caddy but is this why they wont fit ?

/ cutting hay #18  
Have you ever cut with a 3pt disc mower on a caddy?? The caddy makes it so much easier to attach cutter to tractor. Another nice thing about a cutter on a caddy is one can transport them with a pickup if it's required.
i have never used a caddy but i have owned several pull conditioners.i would much rather use 3 pt cutters .for your kubota tractor to handle the cutter easier be sure to set the tires all the way out front and back,use front weights and rear wheel weights.makes a big difference.

/ cutting hay #19  
I can get a 6.6 foot Krone straight from the factory for 9 grand. At my Kubota Dealer? Or I could buy a Vicon and get a 10 foot same price
I run a 8ft vicon,used a kubota 5040(on 3pt)loader on of course,I believe would be a great match on a caddy for the mx5100. The three blades req.less hp and my 46pto hp never had any trouble.

/ cutting hay #20  
cut really fast (4-ft wide models can reach 5-6 acres per hour depending on terrain, crop density, etc). They do tend to windrow somewhat so if you're looking for a flat cut, then a disc mower or sicklebar is what you want.

Do you realize how fast a tractor would have to go to cut 5 acres per hour with a 4 ft cutter?? 12+ MPH which is way to fast for my Fireant/gopher mound infested ground but you ground is probably smoother.