Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member ROYCEWILLARDOKLAHOMA's Avatar
    Tractor
    MX 5100 KUBOTA 2012/

Default cutting hay

I have a Kubota MX 5100, 4whd hydro-stat, I have approximately when none of its leased out about 300 acres with 2/3 of that in hay meadows. I need some advise on a disc mower. I would like something on a Dolly or caddi. And I need some info and advise from some of you guys. like size, brand ect. I would like to buy the rite one the first time. I may also hire myself out to help friends cut and rake. whats my best choice? I have considered swathers , and haybines. I believe my tractor is right at 50 hp with 46 in the pto. whats the largest cutter I can safely use without harming my tractor? And does it allow me a slightly larger mower if its on a dolly? I would like to go Krone, or Kuhn.
    Willardskillard

Tractor
    and i just got a 580 c case backhoe real good shape got another kubota 2100 .. 2 - 684 IH 2 -8 N Ford had B275 IH MF # 50 work bull MF 35 all redone 65 mf 1750 kabota

Default Re: cutting hay

not up on the dice bind my father tried a loaner and cut 100 ac in one day work good . it was new but with ta acid from the hay it looked 10 years old . good luck
    JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF NONE

Tractor
    MX 5100 KUBOTA 2012/

Quote Originally Posted by tthopskin@yahoo.ca View Post
    not up on the dice bind my father tried a loaner and cut 100 ac in one day work good . it was new but with ta acid from the hay it looked 10 years old . good luck
    You lost me man on the dice bind, and acid hay.
    Willardskillard

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Depending on what you're wanting to cut I think your borderline on a 9' disc mower. I think a 8' would be better. With the added ease of attaching to tractor,less strain on tractor when in transport position and following ground /cornering better I would recommend a caddy. You mentioned 2 good brands of disc mowers in Krone & Kuhn. I run a Vermeer on a caddy and it cuts well plus I like the ability to quick-change the blades without the need of a wrench. For raking I have a H&S hi-cap which has the rake wheels close to the raked hay instead of behind the frame. If necessary I can rake 3 or 2 or even 1 nine ft cut swaths just by moving the the hyd control lever on the tractor. H&S rakes are high priced but mine is about to start it's 11th year and has raked 1000's of acres. This is speaking from someone that has been in the custom hay baling business since '87.

Tractor
    MX 5100 KUBOTA 2012/

wow, thankya sir
    Willardskillard

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    cx70,5510,4630,5005

for a 8 foot mower i myself would not want a caddy.i sure like a krone, but a cheaper brand that is good would be one with the heavy comer cutter bar.i think some tonutti's have it.

Tractor
    MX 5100 KUBOTA 2012/

Quote Originally Posted by cowski View Post
    for a 8 foot mower i myself would not want a caddy.i sure like a krone, but a cheaper brand that is good would be one with the heavy comer cutter bar.i think some tonutti's have it.
    I hear you, I just dont like all the strain and wear and tear of the bar going up and down , and my tractor is smaller one. Yet the kubotas are so user friendly and have so many accommodations and adjustments on the lift, I sure hate to tear all that up. I like how I can just back up to any implement and hook up without ever climbing back on tractor to back up a little bit more or anything. The lifting arms adjust out and in, and side to side. And with the hydrostat I can back it up or pull it forward an inch or so while standing on the ground. I dont know how durable all that technology is though lol. One poster on here mentioned a drum mower, ever used one of those?
    Willardskillard

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; Ford Ferguson 9N: JD X300R

If you use a caddy - you can likely get by with a 8' mower. But, I think you're really on the edge horsepower-wise with that size cutter.. especially if you get into some pretty heavy alfalfa. IMO - I'd downsize to a 7' cutter and you'll be able to mow in another 1-2 higher gears!

I'm on my 2nd Kuhn mower (sold the 1st to get a bigger one) and have nothing but good things to say about 'em.

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Quote Originally Posted by cowski View Post
    Have you ever cut with a 3pt disc mower on a caddy?? The caddy makes it so much easier to attach cutter to tractor. Another nice thing about a cutter on a caddy is one can transport them with a pickup if it's required.

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Quote Originally Posted by AKfish View Post
    But, I think you're really on the edge horsepower-wise with that size cutter..
    AKfish
    I've used a Kubota M4900 to pull my 9' cutter on a caddy. No Alfalfa in the Texas desert but lots of Coastal. The 45 pto hp tractor would pull the cutter at 4.5-5 mph. I didn't desire to go faster because of Fireant & Gopher mounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast