Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post

I would have thought Vermeer would have had a more "sophisticated way" to remove tension on the belts than a log chain. I'm glad I own a JD rd baler.
    We are all glad you do too. You may want to trade that Kubota on something green also.

It's not like you are replacing belts daily, if you are then removing tension is only one of your problems.

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Default Re: VEMEER 505G

I fail to see how my Kubota tractor enters into this thread. BTW you left out the Ford tractor,H&S rake & Vermeer disc cutter that I own. Sorry if I got your knickers wadded but I would have thought as long as Vermeer has been producing Rd balers they would have come up with a better way to remove tension from the belts besides a "LOG CHAIN". Granted a 504G isn't a newer model but even on JD's early model rd baler built back over 30 yrs ago all one had to do to relieve pressure on belts was insert 2 pins that were provided with baler. Granted the JD baler I mentioned (410/510) was not a very good rd baler model either!!!!!! Have a nice day,Jim

Tractor
    John Deere

Variety is the spice of life. So they say. They all have their pro's and con's. Between two brothers and me all our equipment is different except two JD balers, 535 and 435. The other has NH baler. I wanna get away from the 5' wide bales and go to 4'. Easier for hauling.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    A little of everything

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL52 View Post
    Variety is the spice of life. So they say. They all have their pro's and con's. Between two brothers and me all our equipment is different except two JD balers, 535 and 435. The other has NH baler. I wanna get away from the 5' wide bales and go to 4'. Easier for hauling.
    I agree on variety and the pro's and con's. Around here most of the hay guys are going away from the 4' back to 5'. The big hay buyers 100 miles south of here (mainly dairy) are wanting the bigger bales. We are stacking them on a low boy (10' wide), throwing on the Wide Load sign and hitting the road.

I have been baling 5' bales of years and haven't had any issues hauling them yet, but everyone/place can be different.

Tractor
    JD 1010, JD 970, Farmall Super A,Komatsu D20A-5,Ford 4500,Ford 4000 forklift,Ford 640 w/703 loader

I had the chance to buy a vermeer 605H, the down side of it was just what you said about transporting the bigger bales. It would be a great baler if you baled on your own property and didn't have to transport

Tractor
    John Deere

Quote Originally Posted by AGRIMAN View Post
    I agree on variety and the pro's and con's. Around here most of the hay guys are going away from the 4' back to 5'. The big hay buyers 100 miles south of here (mainly dairy) are wanting the bigger bales. We are stacking them on a low boy (10' wide), throwing on the Wide Load sign and hitting the road.

I have been baling 5' bales of years and haven't had any issues hauling them yet, but everyone/place can be different.

Most of the people I make hay for prefer smaller bales, and it less trouble shipping outta state. I've been hauling hay through Baton Rouge and I wouldn't wanna have to go through the streets of LSU with 5' bales. And the trucking companys want more money for the big bales. They want a little more for 4x6
    verses 4x5. Now I have variety.

Tractor
    John Deere

Quote Originally Posted by Varmint1 View Post
    I had the chance to buy a vermeer 605H, the down side of it was just what you said about transporting the bigger bales. It would be a great baler if you baled on your own property and didn't have to transport
    If this vermeer works good, I won't use the 535 this year. Except for 1 local that buys 100 or so bales. But if she takes the 4x5's I'll be happy.
    Just noticed you're in Deville. Not that far from here.

Tractor
    JD 1010, JD 970, Farmall Super A,Komatsu D20A-5,Ford 4500,Ford 4000 forklift,Ford 640 w/703 loader

Yeah just like you I had to go outta state to pick my baler up. I'm just little over an hour from you. I worked for E.S. Voelker in Alexandria for eight years, now I'm doin the oil field thing

Tractor
    John Deere

I had the chance to slack the belts today and took the 4" belts off and measured the length. I got it done on DT86 advice. Thanks.

HayDr, I got in there and just couldn't push them rollers up with my back or shoulders. Must be getting old. But I did get'er done. Thanks for the info.
    I still need some tedder wheels.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

If you are going to re-lace the ends make sure to cut them equal lengths and that the ends are cut square. Other wise the bales will be fluffy (loose) on one side, tight on the other and the belts will track crooked and try to flip over.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast