VEMEER 505G

/ VEMEER 505G
If you are going to re-lace the ends make sure to cut them equal lengths and that the ends are cut square. Other wise the bales will be fluffy (loose) on one side, tight on the other and the belts will track crooked and try to flip over.

I intend to all tho it would shorten to maybe an inch under the 336" the manual suggested cut. The 10" I'll have to bring somewhere to get laced, which need it bad. I have a 6" but no 10" tool as of yet.

/ VEMEER 505G #22  
I would have thought Vermeer would have had a more "sophisticated way" to remove tension on the belts than a log chain. I'm glad I own a JD rd baler.
When Vermeer made this G round baler JD did not have an open throat baler. JD was in the dark ages with the 410 & 510 round balers. The JD 430 & 530 were introduced in 1986-87. Of which JD lost a patent infringement law suit on Hesston's patents.

/ VEMEER 505G #23  
When Vermeer made this G round baler JD did not have an open throat baler. JD was in the dark ages with the 410 & 510 round balers. The JD 430 & 530 were introduced in 1986-87. Of which JD lost a patent infringement law suit on Hesston's patents.

So are you stating because of JD's patent infringement Vermeer decided to utilize a log chain to relieve tension on belts when repairs were required?? JD still utilizes the same type tension roller arrangement(patent infringement) on the new balers built today that the 430//530's utilized.

/ VEMEER 505G
So HayDR, your saying JD stole the open throat from Hesston?

No,no, Tx Jim. What he's saying is Vermeer has little reason to add the expense of releasing belt tension, because they have so little belt problems, they decided to pass the savings along to the customer. Well it sounds good anyhow. Their both good balers

/ VEMEER 505G #25  
So HayDR, your saying JD stole the open throat from Hesston?

No,no, Tx Jim. What he's saying is Vermeer has little reason to add the expense of releasing belt tension, because they have so little belt problems, they decided to pass the savings along to the customer. Well it sounds good anyhow. Their both good balers

Hesston's suit had to do with the tension rollers & arm inside the baler not the open throat design. As I previously stated JD rd balers built today still utilize the same type tension rollers/arm!!!!!!! I agree that both brands are good balers. For some reason I see very few Vermeer rd balers baling hay down here where I live. I own a Vermeer 7030 disc cutter and I like the quick change blade feature.

/ VEMEER 505G
One reason I went with vermeer, is the vermeer dealer altho 30-40 miles further. The vermeer people are alot friendlier than the JD. I like a dealer that is friendly to all, not just the mega farmers with 20 to 40 tractors. Could be the reason their always changing names, but not faces. Which I see as the problem.

/ VEMEER 505G #27  
Andy
I totally agree. My brother who had been a JD dealer from '53 to '88 sold out to larger conglomerate. A few yrs later my ex-SIL(brothers ex) was invited to sell out her dealership (acquired from divorce from my brother)to a larger conglomerate which was the same conglomerate that purchased my brothers dealership. IMHO JD company isn't the same friendly/helpful company especially for a small farmer as it was in the earlier years.

/ VEMEER 505G #28  
I fail to see how my Kubota tractor enters into this thread. BTW you left out the Ford tractor,H&S rake & Vermeer disc cutter that I own. Sorry if I got your knickers wadded but I would have thought as long as Vermeer has been producing Rd balers they would have come up with a better way to remove tension from the belts besides a "LOG CHAIN". Granted a 504G isn't a newer model but even on JD's early model rd baler built back over 30 yrs ago all one had to do to relieve pressure on belts was insert 2 pins that were provided with baler. Granted the JD baler I mentioned (410/510) was not a very good rd baler model either!!!!!! Have a nice day,Jim

That JD Baler you have is about the only thing they make anymore worth having, lol, They still have good balers. He can buy a set of belts for that vermeer though for about 600 dollars, Versus 3000 dollars for the Deere. Im glad this post was here though because I had a 504C given to me the other day. Now I know how to change belts. These are some old balers man.

/ VEMEER 505G #29  
Most of the people I make hay for prefer smaller bales, and it less trouble shipping outta state. I've been hauling hay through Baton Rouge and I wouldn't wanna have to go through the streets of LSU with 5' bales. And the trucking companys want more money for the big bales. They want a little more for 4x6
verses 4x5. Now I have variety.
I like the smaller bales also, and a lot of folks are going to compact tractors so the small bales are handy here, And if the hay is top quality Ive found that it brings more money, The big money nowdays is going back to small square bales Ive also noticed.

/ VEMEER 505G #30  
That JD Baler you have is about the only thing they make anymore worth having, lol, They still have good balers.

IMHO JD isn't the same company nor does it build the same quality equipment as it did years ago. But I'll match my JD 467 up against any other rd baler models.