JD 346 sq baler.

/ JD 346 sq baler. #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
Fella's got a 346 baler that he's says is "field ready". Part's and repairs are real hard to come by up here -- so, a spare baler is good idea if you don't have to invest an arm and a leg to just have something that sits in the shed alot of the time until there's a problem with the primary baler. Nonetheless, it's a long drive (and still plenty of snow and ice) for me to check the baler over and I was wonderin' if there was anyone that has owned a 346 or used one and how it worked for them.

Thanks.

AKfish

/ JD 346 sq baler. #2  
I have owned a 346 (partnership deal) then a neighbor had a 336 so I bought it and got out of the partnership. The 346 is an excellent baler. I really enjoyed the wide pickup. Both of these I'm talking about are wire tie balers.

I would look the pto shaft, knuckles and slip clutch over. The bale chamber rollers and the knife rollers ... these sometimes "freeze" with rust and need to be broke loose to roll. Also the 336 I bought (same on the 346) I had to work on the bale size arm, the brake disc ... the brake disc are located behind the knotters if they are worn out it simply will not be consistant in bale size ... about $80 bucks for the two pads.

Around here these balers are from $3500-5000 depending on condition.

Anyway ... you already know what to look over ... jusr rambling on this morning!!!!!

/ JD 346 sq baler. #3  
I own a 347 which is the model that took the place of the 346. I've owned it for over 5 yrs and I only gave $5400 for it from the original purchaser. I agree the extra width of the pickup is nice over the smaller models. JD has only made very infinite improvements on their sq balers since the introduction of the 336/346 models IE most parts will interchange. I suggest to check the plunger head and bale case for wear.

/ JD 346 sq baler.
Appreciate the reply's. He's asking $3,750 obo. It's been listed for over a year now.

I'd like to move into a round baler but that's gonna have to wait... Another square baler would get the hay wrapped up faster and also be insurance for problems with my 336.

But, it won't get those bales "off" the field any faster!

And, the baler is here - in state. Likely check it out this next month with some warmer weather and better roads.

AKfish

/ JD 346 sq baler. #5  
The price doesn't sound too bad.

/ JD 346 sq baler. #7  
I'd like to move into a round baler but that's gonna have to wait... AKfish

If you ever get the opportunity to purchase a JD 30 or 35 series rd baler don't hesitate because of there age. JD rd balers have only changed minutely since the 30 series same as with the sq balers AFTER the 24T/224 models

/ JD 346 sq baler.
If you ever get the opportunity to purchase a JD 30 or 35 series rd baler don't hesitate because of there age. JD rd balers have only changed minutely since the 30 series same as with the sq balers AFTER the 24T/224 models

That's where I started looking... But, most look a bit tired. I'm not real interested in another "project"! My wife has got way too many for me right now!

Hay buddy has a JD 435 with net wrap. Bales 4x5 mostly and silage wraps some of the hay when "time is short" and you've gotta get the hay off the field!! He's been baling with a JD 3010 and a JD 2640. Interesting difference with the tractors... the 2640 has more power but he likes the 3010 transmission gear ratio spread. So, that's what he uses mostly in front of that 435.

Oh yeah, he put a high moisture kit into the 435!

Like you've said... that net wrap will save you alot of time spread through the hay season. He's always tellin' the story of how he "lapped" another neighbor running a JD 468 baler and a JD 5525! By about every 2nd bale, when the other guy would stop to finish the twine wrap and dump - he'd pass 'em! :laughing:

AKfish

/ JD 346 sq baler.
Hay Buddy Systems ... better than a pocket on a shirt !!!

Looks interesting... Thought did occur after watching the video - why not include the hyd cylinder and grabber hooks into the accumulator? You'd have a "single step" attachment. Of course, you'd only have an 8-bale capacity. Those 2 front "tie-in" bales wouldn't get hooked.

Like the price, too. Thanks.

AKfish

/ JD 346 sq baler. #10  
Looks interesting... Thought did occur after watching the video - why not include the hyd cylinder and grabber hooks into the accumulator? You'd have a "single step" attachment. Of course, you'd only have an 8-bale capacity. Those 2 front "tie-in" bales wouldn't get hooked.

Like the price, too. Thanks.

AKfish

Yes single step with the following exceptions. Accumulate, grapple and load in one step ... Then How to wiggle the chambers back between the bales to unload? And if you do get them wiggled between the bales to unload how do you keep a tight stack in the barn? How about removable accumulator chambers? Well I don't want to take the time to put them on and off ... things seem to never line up just right ... that pin just doesn't want to go in !! ... Thus the reason for two pieces of equipment. In my opinion.