Problem with new holland super 78 baler

/ Problem with new holland super 78 baler #1  

dwaynethompson658

Tractor
ford 4610
My super 78 has a baling chute problem.It want adjust plunger to meet cutting blades.I have read the manual on how to adjust this. I you look from bale discharge end you see at the top of plunger within a 1/32 gap at the bottom but center to the top over 1/2 in. plunger is less than 2 yrs old.I used it last fall it worked fine except it was making banana bales from cutters not cutting right.any help would really be helpful

/ Problem with new holland super 78 baler #2  
I had the same problem with my s67 and ended up changing the prunger bearings (in my case hardwood slides). Sounds like you have a bearing issue with that much gap. I got my plunger nice and tight then shimed the knifes to have a 1/32 gap the whole length. It only took a few sheet metal shims, which brings me back to the bearings or a frame issue. Is it possible the frame of the machine has deformed, either on the plunger side or the feed side? Thats the stuff I would look at first.

/ Problem with new holland super 78 baler
THANKS TESSIERS GONNA TAKE A REAL GOOD LOOK AT THIS

pulled plunger out and found rollers way out of adjustment.It don't look like any other damage has been done.So we are gonna put plunger back in to see how it works.Thanks for the help

/ Problem with new holland super 78 baler #5  
I rebuilt a old 78 a few yrs ago. The chamber was so bowed I could only adjust the knives where they met. The rest had to take care of it's self. Worked great its bailed every season for the last 7yrs. only missed a bale through operator error. The reason your getting banana bailes may be the feeder forks need adjusted to much hay on one side or the other. Another reason may be the way you are putting the hay in the bailer. Although the pickup on a 78 don't give you much room unless you have very small windrows.
Good luck to ya the 78 is a good old bailer.
Sheepdr

/ Problem with new holland super 78 baler #6  
Every off season I check the plunger allignment and adjustment with the knives. Chech the entire machine for loose bolts and\or nuts, which now and then will show problems with the bale chamber shape. They do get out of plumb due to wear, but sometimes something gets a little loose on the support bracing and your chamber end up not being true to the world.

Tessiers is probably on the right track. Your issue(s) are most likely in the plunger adjustment or the chamber shape relative to plumb.

Nick, North West Farmer

/ Problem with new holland super 78 baler #7  
If the bale chamber is worn out it should be pretty obvious. If you fix the bale chamber the way it should be it will last a long time. The feed on those old balers is pretty forgiving, the pickup is not wide enough to cause much trouble (famous last words of a fool). I stick a bar between the knives and see if there is play in the plunger right at the knife position, if you have a bad bearing a lot of times the plunger sits nice when its empty and it looks good, but when under pressure of feeding and cutting hay it will work away from the knife. If you get it anywhere near good it will work well. My expereience has been they have to be way out before things get bad. 1/2" between knives is almost no bearing left. Hope you got the problem. I would lay out a dozen bales in the driveway and try baleing them to make sure before I mowed hay, sucks to have hay down and still have problems.

000_0149.jpgWe have finally got some parts in.Here is what i have found so far.The plunger has been replaced by original owner 2 years ago.I have replaced 3 roller bearing that were totally shot.Then put plunger back in and adjusted plunger it was free moving but i noticed that when plunger meets stationary blade the gap at the top is 1/8 in.and at the bottom 1/8in. gap here is the kicker thru the middle of the blade the gap is 1/2 in.a lot of wear in the blade.Called messicks today said part was discontinued.The last time we used it i adjusted the feeder forks trying to cut some hay from going into baler.But i noticed this when plunger makes it's cycle that hay was not cut and was dragging it into the next bale.thanks to everyone on this site for all the response.i hope to be baling here by may hmmm.

Last edited:
   / Problem with new holland super 78 baler #9  
Find a short straight edge and hold it on each knife, one or both has to be bent a little. I would take the bent one out and try to straighten it without heat if possible and with if needed. Then shim them to have about a 1/16 inch gap top bottom and middle. Sharpen them as best you can, they bevel to one side only, kind of like scissors. This is all assuming you have smooth plunger movement with no play. If the plunger was replaced I would place my bet on the stationary knife being bent. This is the result of trash going through the baler, like large sticks, rocks, iron ect that the baler can't cut. My guess is whatever it was ruined the last plunger. You may find it will cut more hay better than less. As I have said before these old balers have to be in pretty bad shape not to bale hay.

/ Problem with new holland super 78 baler #10  
Sounds like tessiers is right on to me. I think I would send my questions to him. The o.ly thing I might add
Is with that much difference on the knives if you straighten it as much as possible COLD use shims and tighten bolts as much as you can. Pry the plunger towards the knives front and rear leave bars in place loosen plunges bergs slide them back and forth in their slot to make sure their free, when they slap against the rail tighten them there. Once the plunges is set then adjust knives. They are very forgiving balers. Make them work like he said they like more hay than less.
Sheepdr