Spreading Issues - Medium Red Clover Seed

/ Spreading Issues - Medium Red Clover Seed #1  

TurkeyHerder

Tractor
Kubota L3800HST
Hello all. I broadcasted some medium red clover seed over a three acre field a couple days ago and being new to this, I ran into some issues. The seed was so small that I could not see it leaving the spreader. I used a Herd model 96. The spreader claims the seed will cover 19 feet on each pass. I estimated the length between the passes but I don稚 have a good feeling that I covered the entire field. My questions are; can I go back over the field after the clover starts to grow and spread where I might have missed? Or, will the clover fill itself in as it grows, even if I missed sections?

/ Spreading Issues - Medium Red Clover Seed #2  
Clover is best planted in spring, I always Frost Seed my clover for better ground contact. If you wait until you see where you missed I'm afraid you may be wasting your time and $$.

One method we use when spreading seeds, lime or fertilizer is to cut the application rate in half and cover the field twice, running between the tracks you made before. Very small chance of missing any ground that way.

/ Spreading Issues - Medium Red Clover Seed #3  
man its to late around here to plant clover.hope you get a stand.here in east tx we plant clover from sept till dec1st.an we use a seeder like your using an dont have any probs.

/ Spreading Issues - Medium Red Clover Seed #4  
If you want you could go back now but cover the field perpendicular to the way you spread the first time or at some other angle. Just set your spreader to spread a bit lighter on the second pass. Did you cultipack after seeding? That ensures seed to soil contact if working on a prepared seed bed. If over seeding you might do well to let it fill in on its own. Is this a hay crop, food plot or forage crop?

I like to cover a field at least twice or three times with the spreader set to spread light. That way I get a fairly even crop.

For future reference you might want to locate a no till drill to plant clover. Our Soil Conservation office has a rental unit but you might find one through your Ag extension service. This has been the best way to plant grasses and food plots that I have found.

/ Spreading Issues - Medium Red Clover Seed
Thank you all for the replies. Ted, I packed the field prior to spreading but as soon as a completed spreading the seed it started snowing too hard to pack it afterwards. I could buy another bag and spread it again across the field. Is there harm in over-seeding? If the ground dries up enough I can go back over it again with the packer. What do you recommend?

My intent for planting the clover is to help condition the ground and eventually grow hay. The field was completely covered in poison oak from being abandoned for the past 25 or so years. I plowed and let it sit all winter. Last month I disked, and then only recently spread the seed. My short term goal is to smother out all of the poison oak. Next year I will start the process over again in hopes of planting a hay crop.

/ Spreading Issues - Medium Red Clover Seed #7  
I'm assuming this is a food plot. I'd bet you're fine. If the soil dries up quickly you could run over it with a cultipacker but I'll bet if you get a little freeze.thaw action it will sprout fine. And you can wait a bit and see what sprouts and then fill in with seed.

I've figured out that it is hard to use a hand spreader/seeder for these small seeds and just walk fast and crank slow. I'm going to start adding some sand filler at about 50/50

I think fall seeding is best for clover, at least I've had the best luck then. But I always end up planting some in the spring. If it rains, I'm good. If not....

Rford, Good advice. Thank you

/ Spreading Issues - Medium Red Clover Seed #9  
No harm in over seeding especially if you do soon. Just over seed and pack as long as the first seed hasn't sprouted. I suspect you can get by without packing again especially if the ground will freeze up a bit. The seed will get the necessary contact. You will see where the seed gets packed a little in foot prints or tire tracks it will sprout more evenly. The rest will catch up. It just will illustrate the need for seed soil contact and proper planting depth. Clover of course can contact the soil on the surface because the seed is so small.