Looking for new square baler

/ Looking for new square baler #1  

Dirtyho

Tractor
John deere5520
I know this has been discussed but couldn't find anything specific to these particular models. I'm looking at John Deere 336 or nh 570 and 575 any thoughts on these good bad. I only do about 1500-2000 bales a year but I'm looking for a baler I won't constantly be working on. I have experience with the 336 but had a lot of problems not sure if it was the baler or not I know people swear by the 336 maybe I had a lemon. Thanks for any help you can pass along

/ Looking for new square baler #2  
I think a JD 336 isn't as high capacity as the NH 570/575. The only 570's I been around wouldn't make sq bales but it could have been the operators fault.

/ Looking for new square baler #3  
All 3 should do a good job. IMO if they have kicker/throwers, the Deere works better in tight areas, the NH on hills that you drive up and down. The Deere kicker going down hill will tend to throw bales at times straight up, but that is going down a steep slope. The NH thrower will tend to strip leaves off the outside of the bale. Also I think because of the auger Deere makes a much nicer bale. The ends of the stems seem to not be on the sides of the bale with the strings. NH wades the hay into the chamber every which way and about 1/2 the stem ends are on the sting sides of the bales.

Around here the biggest problem with the small square balers is most dealers now don't have people who know how to set them up anymore. Most of the farmers have gone to round or large squares. I've re-timed a couple of 336 balers that dealer mechanics timed off in the last few years. My experience has been that 95% of the problems are in the set-up with either brand. Depending on the hay the set up of the feeder forks, wedges, etc make a difference.

Both brands look over the bale chamber for wear and cracks, look the knotters and needles over good. Make sure they don't look like a needle struck the knotter or has been oddly repaired. Loot at the drawbars on both ends, for cracks and slop. The Deere look at the flywheel side axle, they seem to bend or break.

/ Looking for new square baler #4  
If I'm not mistaken, you can likely buy 2, JD336 balers for what you'd have to pay for a NH 570. But... as Tx Jim mentioned the 570/575 will outbale the 336, too. If you want to better compare apples to apples; you might look for a NH 273 square baler.

NH makes very good hay equipment. Leader in the forage industry.

You won't go wrong with either models - provided all the innards are in good running condition.

AKfish

/ Looking for new square baler #5  
The choice can be made by considering the following:
Price/condition of the particular unit being considered.
Availability of local parts & service.
Preference of pan style kicker or belt thrower, if equipped.

A decent 336 or a 570, or 575 will make many thousands of square bales per year.
Any or all can be found in good to excellent shape, or completely worn out.

/ Looking for new square baler
Thanks for the info I appreciate all of your input. I found a nice 570 with a 72 thrower looked in real nice condition kept in the barn didn't need anything has electric thrower control no hydro bale tension he's looking for 10,500 probably going to pull the trigger

/ Looking for new square baler #7  
Sounds like a fair price if it's in good condition. Wonder if it has Pine Plains Tractor stickers on it?

/ Looking for new square baler #8  
I have seen 575's listed for less in very good condition. If your not in a hurry keep looking around or try to negotiate the price a little more Should be able to find a good one in the $9k range. I paid $7500 for my 575 with 72 thrower 8 years ago. The only problems I have had with it was with the thrower and RickB helped me finally figure out what was wrong. Someone "repaired" it before I bought it and didn't do it properly and it kept causing failures. Since Rick told me what was the problem it has not failed me since. The baler has ran great. The first year was a learning experience but since then I've been extremely happy with it.

/ Looking for new square baler #9  
I have seen 575's listed for less in very good condition. If your not in a hurry keep looking around or try to negotiate the price a little more Should be able to find a good one in the $9k range. I paid $7500 for my 575 with 72 thrower 8 years ago. The only problems I have had with it was with the thrower and RickB helped me finally figure out what was wrong. Someone "repaired" it before I bought it and didn't do it properly and it kept causing failures. Since Rick told me what was the problem it has not failed me since. The baler has ran great. The first year was a learning experience but since then I've been extremely happy with it.

There are almost 200 570 and 575 balers listed on Tractorhouse today and not a single one did I see listed with a 72 thrower and priced at $7500. I think it fair to say that $10,500 is below the average listed asking price.

/ Looking for new square baler #10  
There are almost 200 570 and 575 balers listed on Tractorhouse today and not a single one did I see listed with a 72 thrower and priced at $7500. I think it fair to say that $10,500 is below the average listed asking price.

I'll agree it is a fair price, just mentioned that he could find a better price if he wasn't in a hurry. My price was 8+ years ago but was extremely low for what I was getting at the time. I bought the baler with two almost new pequea basket wagons with pequea gears for $11,500 total from a dealer here. I was fortunate to not be in a hurry and looked at a few balers before finally finding the right deal.