Picked up a hesston 1091

/ Picked up a hesston 1091 #1  

tessiers

Platinum Member
Tractor
05' JD 790 - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 67' John Deere 3020 deisel - 77' John Deere 2130 - 1950 John Deere MC
Found a hesston 1091 reasonable. $1300 almost ready to mow. It looks well maintained, tight bearings all around, old and new grease on everything, clean. Cutter bar has signs of previous maintenance and looks good, straight, needs a couple of sections and a guard or 2. Conditioning rolls look pretty good, a few minor weather cracks in the rubber one but no splitting or delamination visible. No welding or signs or repair on frame or around gear box. Only needed repair I could find is one of the springs to float the cutter head is broken, ordering a new one tomorrow. Price seamed pretty good, story was the same as all the rest, he bought a disc last year. Hopefully in a few years we will see a few small discs hit the used market reasonably priced until then haybine it is for me. Thanks for the advice on my last thread.

/ Picked up a hesston 1091 #2  
Congrats. My uncle has one. He has been using it for many years. His the spring has broke to.

/ Picked up a hesston 1091 #3  
If that model 1091 is anything like my Hesston 1120 then you will love it. I believe some of the Hesston Haybines with 4 digit model numbers can be a real budget value machine for a small time operator ( skip over the old PT- models though).

The Hesston has solid rollers that are not prone to de-laminating and a much simpler sickle drive mechanism that bodes well for keeping one of these things operational for a long time. Compare that to a NH haybine that has a roller that will de-laminate and also has that expensive wobble box; basically when either of these fail on the NH you basically left with scrap metal.

You will be surprised at the speed you can cut with that Hesston.

/ Picked up a hesston 1091 #5  
most all disc mowers you see for sale are wore plumb out.an with that said they are still priced from $2500 to $3500.

/ Picked up a hesston 1091
Ordered the spring today, in warehouse and will be in to dealer mid week. Price was about what I expected so no surprise there. Agco has a nice website with parts diagrams and lists so when I called the dealer I had the numbers and it was a piece of cake. I also ordered parts book and owners manual to go with machine, a habit I developed years ago for about every machine I own. Seams quite simple looking it over. Should be a big change over the old sickle bar on the H. I have not seen too many disc mowers on the used market and the ones I have seen were either priced considerably over that or as you said worn out.

/ Picked up a hesston 1091 #7  
Ah, Do not give up the ghost on the ole h just yet (assuming you get some tires on it). My 1951 Farmall h handled my Hesston 1120 moco much better than I expected it would last year. I mainly tried the tractor just for giggles, but it did surprisingly well and cut everything in 3rd gear, WOT, which is 4.3 mph.

I realize you have other tractors, but it is always nice to have options in case one breaks down.

/ Picked up a hesston 1091 #8  
Here in SW MO, craigslist has 2 Hesston 1010s ($800 each) from one seller and a 1090 for $1000. I just bought an NH 479 that, after some maintenance, seems good to go, but I am considering a getting a backup. The 1010 is a hydro swing and the 1090 looks very similar to the NH. Is either of these a better choice (assuming wear and tear of course)?
Thanks