Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    mf 1547

And of the stuff I bale. Yesterday one was at 22% that was a bale in the shade for a lot of the average bales when I pick them the strings pull about 8 inched off the bale

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Default Re: oat hay Baling issues

12-15% moisture is where I want to bale the hay. I still think 7% hay should fine to sq bale. Are bales coming out of chamber even or banana shaped? In my youth my Dad baled 1000's of bales of oat hay with a 214WS

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Hmmm, ~20% is where we stop and let it dry longer. Like Tx Jim, we shoot for 12-15% moisture. Sounds almost like your bales aren't being held back well enough by the bale chamber, but if they are 80-90# bales, that is too heavy...

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    mf 1547

Yah the higher moisture ones get to get fed first. All the old timers here say just let them sweat for 6 months. Bales come out perfect looking. When you cut the strings and compare length it hasn't been more than a quarter inch difference.

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Quote Originally Posted by donais View Post
    And of the stuff I bale. Yesterday one was at 22% that was a bale in the shade for a lot of the average bales when I pick them the strings pull about 8 inched off the bale
    I can't see how string will pull 8"s from bale when picked up if bales weigh anywhere close to 80#s. How long are the bales?

Tractor
    mf 1547

They are 3 feet. I'm going to weigh a few and try some pictures to clear it up.. on another note. This Baled has the compressor rods on the pick-up that just go straight back I see in the manual they have some that come forward then curve down and back up towards the back like an s shape. If I get/make some like that will that help pick up the hay? It seems that it likes to throw a lot of the hay forward unless its roped on the windrow. Also thanks for all the time spent with me. This is my 3rd season haying @ 30 acres. Last year was better had none of these problems but had better rain.

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Yes the curved compressor rods help hold the hay against the pickup teeth and strippers better than the straight comp rods. I can't remember seeing a 214 with straight comp rods. Photo's would help. This 224 that I found on the internet has flat compressors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -3e13gd3h25l75gf5f3d46b6994df863f21c15-jpg  

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; Ford Ferguson 9N: JD X300R

Let 'em "sweat" for 6 months or so... You'll have mold that won't quit! If you've got 80's now and 90's in several weeks... mold in 2 weeks - darn near guaranteed - with 22%> bales.

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Tractor
    John Deere 5325, CI Farmall 85U, Mccormick International 404

I can't believed they haven't dried out if cut a week and half ago. That is a long time

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

Tractor
    mf 1547

Ak yah I feed the higher moisture bale as soon as I bring them home. As far as getting any more rain it is probably over till October. Gotta love this desert ish weather here in Ramona.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast