Disk Cutters

/ Disk Cutters #1  

AndyL52

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere
Looking for a disk cutter. There's a Vicon CM270 and Greenland CM247. These are two of several I'm looking at. What are the pros and cons on these two. Looks like both have the same maker.

/ Disk Cutters
On the Vicon, he said the disk stopped turning while he was cutting. Belts still turn. Any ideas on that?

/ Disk Cutters #3  
Does the mower run now?

Most of the cutterbars have gears so the disks are synchronized. Turn one disk, and you should see all the disks turn. Generally there is also some kind of a 90 degree gearbox feeding into the cutterbar.

Do you have a stripped gear (or several of them) somewhere?

Hopefully you're getting a good deal on it. Look up the costs of parts before you buy.

Are the two close enough that you could buy a parts mower and swap parts?

/ Disk Cutters
All disk stopped. He said a mechanic told him it was a shear pin. Is it possible that's all it could be.

Not really close together, but 2 hrs in either direction.

/ Disk Cutters #5  
I don't see anything that looks like a shear pin that is accessible on my Kuhn. At least nothing that one could get to without opening a gearbox, and nothing that looks like a baler setup.

Perhaps a key could be lost on a shaft, but that would indicate a lot of wear.

I've had Craigslist sellers underestimate the damage to their stuff, and the repairs necessary to fix them.

Have him tell you what turns and what doesn't turn, both turning the discs, and turning the PTO/pulleys. Does it catch anywhere when turning, or does everything turn smoothly? If one turns the disks 1/2 turn, then do the pulleys engage?

If there is a shear pin, he should be able to take a photo of the missing pin and prove that is it, or at least you should be able to find it on a parts diagram.

If this is being sold broken, then you need to price it as broken. Gears can be $200+ each, and you would probably need at least 2, if not several. Plus, of course, the labor to fix it.

/ Disk Cutters #6  
Are you looking at drum mowers or disc mowers? Do you have photos? Are you sure the numbers are correct?

I'd be suspicious of a drum mower that is pulled directly behind a tractor as you would tend to smash down some of the hay before mowing. Front mounted might be nice if you had the capability.

I looked for some Vicon parts diagrams and am not seeing a sheer pin for rotary motion. There may be a break-away shear bolt for twisting.

/ Disk Cutters
Disc mower. CM240. No pics from owner. I'm gonna give him a week, call back and see if he still has it. Just might get him down some more on the price. In the mean time I'm gonna go look at a cutter tomorrow, that's only 2 miles from here. Think it's a drum type tho.
I haven't even been able to find a Vicon dealer. There are suppose to be 3 business places with in 15 min of home, that sell parts for Vicon. From post I've read on different forums, they seem to be a good cutter.

/ Disk Cutters #8  
I think Vicon is one of the few brands that uses 3 blades per disk. It sounds like a good concept.

Vicon CM240 makes more sense.

I don't think I've seen a drum mower. Some people apparently like them. They are supposed to pile the grass up a little, whereas the disc mowers generally leave the grass flatter.

BTW: I forgot what kind of tractor you had. The disc mowers are supposed to take quite a bit of HP. 30 HP or so for 4 or 5 discs. 50 HP or so for 7 discs.

/ Disk Cutters
I like the 3 blades. Suppose to cut clean. I didn't notice I put 270 instead of 240 on that. I.m running 60 pto hp. Had a 9' Krone last year. Then the man couldn't get a new cutter and asked for it back. And I did. So that puts me hunt'en for 1 at the last min.

/ Disk Cutters #10  
vicon uses sheer pins.