NH 269 bill hook frame cam build up

/ NH 269 bill hook frame cam build up #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
Any Tips/Suggestions on building up the knotter frame where the bill hook cam is. The left side on mine has 'bout a 1/8" groove on it and the surface has brass on it like the previous owner had to build it up once before. I would like to know if there is a measurement to go by. For example height from the bottom of the ram to the top of the ramp. Is there a minimum gap the tongue should open. My problems were no knots with lots of twine wrapped around bill hook and busted or loose knots with twine streaming from back of baler. I've been 10 days working on this old girl and need to get the hay off the field. I'm guessing this is some kind of eyeball (just get it smooth) sort of project. I'm afraid that material removed will affect the BH jaw opening dimensions. Any help on building up bill hook cams will be appreciated. bjr

/ NH 269 bill hook frame cam build up #2  
My advise is to swap out the knotter frame for a new one or a good used one. Nothing worse than dicking around with a square baler when you are trying to bale hay. Fix it right and be done with it.

/ NH 269 bill hook frame cam build up #3  
I like ricks answer, unfortunately its not what I would do, I can't quite picture what you are talking about, I will take a walk down to the machine shed and take a look. If it is brass colored material its probably brazing, not the strongest wearing material but easy to work with. Be right back!

/ NH 269 bill hook frame cam build up #4  
Well that didn't work, I am still not picturing your exact problem, but if there is a groove there must be an end to that groove, and a circumfrence to go along with it I would start by filling the groove and also check the mating part for wear. Again if it has alreadsy been brazed you are pretty well commited to that repair method. Knotters can be the most annoying thing to deal with, many a baler has been scrapped for little more than bad knots. I might be able to see a little clearer with some good pictures but I may be more trouble than help in the long run. There is some validity to rick's answer.

/ NH 269 bill hook frame cam build up #5  
There's hardly nothing that's more aggravating... and when you get backed up and can't borrow the neighbor's baler or have them bale everything up - it's time to either buy another baler or plunk down that $1,200 for a new knotter assembly!

After you make that investment; then you're committed to replacing some of those other "worn but limping" parts on it, too! :laughing:

AKfish

/ NH 269 bill hook frame cam build up #6  
There's hardly nothing that's more aggravating... and when you get backed up and can't borrow the neighbor's baler or have them bale everything up - it's time to either buy another baler or plunk down that $1,200 for a new knotter assembly!

After you make that investment; then you're committed to replacing some of those other "worn but limping" parts on it, too! :laughing:

AKfish
You must be quoting Deere knotter prices.
A single New Holland complete knotter is about $570 and a bare frame runs about $240.

/ NH 269 bill hook frame cam build up
Well I'm committed now. I burned off,melted, with the cutting torch most of the old brazing and built up with some 7018 rod, then ground down while try to maintain the origin profile, then use a sanding flapper wheel to polish some. I've still got more touch up grinding on the inside radius to get the Bill hook to spin 360 degrees. The jaw now opens more. I did this operation by flipping unit back and removing knife arm and wrapping wetted rags around the twine holders to keep them cool. I'll reassemble tonite and see what happens. In the knotters manual it shows a newer style replaceable cap held on with a couple of machine screws (what I'm calling it) with the slope built in. Could this be retrofitted to the earlier style frames?
I stopped by the NH Dealer and asked specifically about the adding/subtracting drive chain connections. Whether this would affect needle timing. The NH 269 operators manual and the Knotter rebuild manual do not address this issue. The shop guys had differing opinions and there appears to no information as to how many links what original OEM is. The parts department didn't show and the shop service books didn't show. Do any of you have hard copy that addresses this issue? I apologize for the long post. bjr

/ NH 269 bill hook frame cam build up #8  
You must be quoting Deere knotter prices.
A single New Holland complete knotter is about $570 and a bare frame runs about $240.

Yeah... you got that right! :laughing: I looked darn hard at NH small square balers -- nobody up here close to me with parts or service... JD is close and EXPENSIVE; but they've got a good hand or two that knows up from down!

So, that sealed it.

AKfish

/ NH 269 bill hook frame cam build up
Okay, built up and polished the right side knotter frame under the bill hook roller and readjusted knotter plates and this side tied great. Now the other side that had been tying quit. Actually right before dark the drive chain jump off the sprocket and the flywheel shear bolt broke, so, I stopped for the nite. I'll tackle all issues this afternoon after the "Day Job". Some days I take one step ahead and two back. bjr